New Year, New You, New Semester: 3 Ways to Make This Semester Your Best One Yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

2015 is in the rearview and a new semester is on the horizon. You’re already dreading 8 am classes and that heap of homework that will soon be covering your desk (and floor, and possibly your bed) and are probably wishing that you could relive the holidays. We could all use an extra week (or three) to get ourselves together, but the semester waits for no one. So, here’s three ways to make this semester your best one yet.

1. Get a planner, it helps bunches!

The start of a new semester is the perfect time to turn over a new, more organized leaf. A planner, or desk or wall calendar will help you keep track of assignments and their due dates, exam dates, club meetings, work schedules or just the day of the week. Research shows that you’re more likely to remember the things that you write down—so, get a planner and never forget about another assignment again.

Pro tip: Color code your planner or calendar for maximum productivity.

Pro tip no. 2: Personalize it! Adding photos and using colors that you like will actually make you want to use the planner.

Pro tip no. 3: Don’t forget to schedule the fun stuff—concerts, brunch dates, personal pampering sessions, etc.

2. Don’t be Anti-social, join an organization!

Aside from looking good on a resume, joining a club is a great way to discover and make friends with people who share your interests. Clubs and their memberships come in all shapes and sizes—they can be academic or social; you can be regular member or an officer. UH is home to over 400 organizations, so there is no shortage of places to find your niche.

3. Let loose!

It’s a scientific fact that socializing can make you a happier, healthier person. So, put down the books every now and again to explore campus and the city of Houston. UH sponsors a number of events throughout the school year—one of its largest, Frontier Fiesta, is coming up soon. And there’s always something to do in town—look at art, grab a bite to eat or go see a show.

Pro tip: Talk to strangers, but use your judgment. You never know, you may meet your BFFL at a film festival.  

BreeAngela Hamilton is a senior studying print journalism and computer graphics technology at the University of Houston. She is the Managing Editor of Her Campus UH. Her favorite pastimes include watching reruns of Law & Order: SVU and listening to music at a high volume while navigating traffic. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @breeelyse_.
"Writing means sharing. It's part of the human condition to want to share things - thoughts, ideas, opinions."