This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

To put it simply, Lowell Levo is one cool guy.

Lowell, a senior majoring in biology, plans to earn a Master’s degree in public health and attend medical school after graduation.

After winning last week’s Mr. UH competition, he’s received a dose of celebrity.

“People will see me now and say ‘Congratulations! Can I get a picture?,’” he said. “For a moment I felt like a legitimate celebrity. I was like, ‘Oh, my god, this is kind of what it feels like to be well known.’”

You know what they say about celebrities—they’re just like us. Lowell laughs at “Hotline Bling” memes, rocks out to Paramore, dances and does gymnastics.

“I started dancing when I was in middle school,” he said. “I’m trained in all forms. I can do jazz, tap, ballet, lyrical and hip hop. I was also a gymnast for four years. I’m pretty sure that’s what won me Mr. UH.”

Even though Lowell is now the face of the university, he’s not letting the fame go to his head. He wants to set an example for others and spread joy.

“I am your typical male student,” he said. “I just happened to win a pageant that I had a great time in. I hope the next winner will be as happy about it as I was.”

BreeAngela Hamilton is a senior studying print journalism and computer graphics technology at the University of Houston. She is the Managing Editor of Her Campus UH. Her favorite pastimes include watching reruns of Law & Order: SVU and listening to music at a high volume while navigating traffic. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @breeelyse_.
"Writing means sharing. It's part of the human condition to want to share things - thoughts, ideas, opinions."