This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

Adapted from “First They Came” By: Martin Niemöller

First he tried to come for the women, and thousands marched at the Women’s March-

Even though they were not women.

Then he tried to come for the Muslims, and hundreds protested at airports across the country-

Even though they were not Muslim.

Then he tried to come for the immigrants, and many boycotted on “A Day Without Immigrants”-

Even though they were not immigrants.

But he won’t come for me, because other people are willing to fight for me-

Even though they don’t know me.

Jacqueline is a senior at University of Houston double majoring in Accounting & Management Information Systems. She is a bookworm and enjoys paintball and laser tag. When she’s not studying, she likes cheering on her fellow Coogs at games as well as spiking down unworthy opponents in friendly games of volleyball at the Rec.
Irina Alejandro is a sophomore at the University of Houston, getting a major in political science and two minors women's studies and international affairs. In her spare time she loves singing loudly in the shower, forcing herself to workout, and talking excessively about politics. She also enjoys long walks on the beach, going to PTA meetings and crying over minor inconveniences. If you want to contact her for a date, leave a comment on one of her articles.