​​​​​​Brianna Banks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

​​​​​​Brianna Banks is a senior pursuing a degree in psychology. She is also the volunteer coordinator for the Council for Exceptional Children whose focus is to “improve the educational success of individuals with disabilities.” On top of her outgoing and relatable personality, she is incredibly caring and considerate of others. Let’s get a closer look at our fellow coog!

Position duties: 

“My duties include contacting school’s, organizations, and programs that work with individuals with disabilities and planning events with them. These events can vary from having dance parties, craft days, or even participating in awareness walks such as the Autism Speaks walk. “

How has this organization benefited you? 

“I believe that this organization has made me a better person. It has molded me into a better leader as well made me very open minded to the amount of diverse individuals around me. Council for Exceptional Children has sparked my passion to help others and make a difference. “

What was the most exciting thing you have done this summer? 

“The most exciting thing that I have done this summer is traveled to Chicago for the first time alone. I had visited Northwestern University to look at their graduate programs. It was very exciting because I had never been to Illinois and I was able to travel the city with new friends I had met along the way.”

What are your long-term career and personal goals? 

“My long term career and personal goals are honestly very broad. I believe that I have grown as a woman the past two years as far as putting my needs over my wants, and I want to continue doing that. Upon graduating I hope to go to graduate school for education administration. I plan to become a principle of a school in the future, and hopefully even start my own non profit like Council for Exceptional Children.” 

What do you think woman should avoid in college? 

“A college woman should avoid giving her all into things and people that are not important. That includes relationships and friendships, especially. When you give your all to unnecessary things you begin to lose sight of yourself and your goals. Never forget what you came here for!”

Tell us about your worst date. 

“The worst date I have ever been on was actually not because of the date itself. The guy had taken me out to eat, and then we went to the park where we played games. The date was so great and I was smitten by the end of it. However, I had taken it upon myself to add him on Facebook after the date where I had discovered he had a girlfriend who went to school out of town the entire time.” 

List a few of your pet peeves.

“People who say “I’m sorry you feel that way” or “I’m sorry that offended you.”People who watch my snap story, but haven’t texted me back, and when someone eats my food.”

Who is your greatest inspiration and why? 

“My greatest inspiration would have to be my mother. She had me at a young age and  was able to provide everything for me and my sister. Although, my life situation is very different from hers, I hope to gain the strength and courage that she possesses.”

Thutrang, also known as Mimi, is a student at the Conrad N. Hilton College majoring in Hotel and Restaurant Management with an emphasis in Event Management. Ideally, she likes to explore in positive magnitudes whether it consists of social interactions or spiritual guidance. She is an open-minded person who is more than likely to find your sense of taste in music, conspiracies, clothes, dreams, study habits, etc. inspiring. 
"Writing means sharing. It's part of the human condition to want to share things - thoughts, ideas, opinions."