Best Guide for Thrift Shopping!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

College is super-duper expensive we all know that. This is why thrift shopping is the best! I cannot tell you how many cute clothing items I have gotten from the thrift store (Including some name brand stuff!). Here I will give you some tips on how to get the most out of your thrift shopping experience and how to find the best deals from your local thrift stores.

1.Come in with an open mind

This can be hard to do if there are certain things you “must have”. Remember that thrift stores are not like normal department stores.

2.Browse EVERYTHING

When I say this I mean absolutely everything! Don’t skip items on the racks. You never know what special items you can find (I’m talking designer baby!).

3.Shop at the men’s section!

The men’s section, or as I like to call it, “T-shirt Land” is the best. I always spend most of my time there. You can find A LOT of cute T-shirts. Such as travel shirts, sports team shirts, concert shirts, and I have gotten my fair share of U of H shirts here.

4.The book section

The book section is every bibliophile’s dream. Don’t underestimate the book sections. You can find popular books such as The Hunger Games, Eat Pray Love, Harry Potter, Dictionaries, even college textbooks if you look carefully.

5.Purses!

Thrift stores carry a lot of vintage items. I have seen many vintage Dooney and Bourke, Coach, and Vera Bradley bags. Just make sure the bag you’re buying is authentic.

*Nearest Goodwill to the University of Houston: 2030 Westheimer Rd, Houston TX, 77098

*Nearest Buffalo Exchange to the University of Houston: 1618 Westheimer Rd, Houston TX, 77006

*Nearest Salvation Army to the University of Houston: 2208 Washington Ave, Houston TX, 77007

Happy Thrifting Y’all!

Madeline, also known as Maddie is a student at the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences. She is majoring in Spanish with a minor in Education. Maddie enjoys reading, wrting, and ballet. Follow her on Instagram: @maddieareyes
"Writing means sharing. It's part of the human condition to want to share things - thoughts, ideas, opinions."