dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Reasons Why You Should Approach Him

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

Now that school has started,we’re all worrying about managing our schoolwork, job, fitness, bills, and more… the list can go on and on. During these chaotic days you might glance a cutie while he passes by, meet his gaze as you’re trying to get your life together and suddenly forget how to walk. Chances are, your sudden inability to move is caused by the thought of whether it’s worthwhile   to try conversing with him as you pretend to know how to function.

Don’t fret! This happens quite often to everyone (even beautifully radiant models), and when we reflect on  opportunities “lost” we eventually accept them as the result of not having enough courage. As a life-enthusiast, I encourage you to step outside of your comfort zone and dive into the pool of missed opportunities! This semester is a new beginning to create memorable stories, so put your fear aside as I help nudge you into the deep end with five reasons why you should approach him.

1. Odds are you guys are thinking the same thing.

If you find him attractive, then so be it! Chances are he’s probably thinking the same thing! Girls always think guys must only be attracted to the “Angelina Jolie’s” of the world, but trust me, Brad dated a wide variety of women before Angelina. Everyone has attractive qualities, and you probably have that quality he’s looking for. As you’re reading this you may be replaying some embarrassing movie scene in your head where the girl gets rejected by the hottest guy in school (if you weren’t thinking that, you are now), but this scenario doesn’t occur in real life. If the person you’re approaching has manners, he won’t be rude towards you. And if he ends up being a jerk, that’s just one less guy to consume your daydreams while in Biology.  Just be normal as you approach him (even if normal is awkward). Trust me, it will pay off!

2. That’s simply how friends come about anyway!

Browse your current group of guy friends. How did you guys even meet? Supposedly I met one of my guy friends after playing a simple game of volleyball freshman year of high school, and to this day we are still very good friends. It’s all coincidence that we met, but the fact that we remain friends after all these years proves how a single moment can change everything. Who knows where you’ll end up with this stranger? It can be a moment of embarrassment or a moment of truth. Either way, life goes on.  

3. If anything, he’ll find it flattering.

Like us girls, guys are just as flattered when a girl approaches them in a polite manner. Just remember to be calm, cool and collected—not cocky, creepy and crude. Start the conversation with a greeting, maybe something like, “Wonderful weather we’re having, eh?”, although pleasant weather is highly unlikely in Houston. Then go on to ask questions that you are genuinely interested in knowing such as “What are your hobbies?” or “What made you choose your major?”  These are questions that make you seem as innocent as you are in any other interaction with a stranger! With this harmless interaction there is no way he couldn’t feel better after talking to you. Not only will he be flattered, but you might even flatter yourself by acknowledging the courage it took to talk to him. Congrats to you, girl!

4. You both have nothing to lose.

He’s a college student who shares the same ambitions as you, it’s possible he has a hard time at work or home and he’s also pretty nervous about his upcoming test, too. Sparking a conversation with him won’t bother him as much as you think, so take the chance! Maybe you’ll even be the highlight of his day as he continues to go about his same old routine. I am positive that he’s just as interested in meeting new people as you are in college.

5. You have to much of an amazing personailty for someone to not meet you!

You should know yourself well enough to understand how valuable you are as an individual. Therefore, put aside your self-doubt and go introduce yourself! Your kindness, wittiness and sometimes clumsiness are all characteristics of being human. Trust in fate and whatever happens will happen for a reason. If possible, ask him to grab lunch sometime to get to know each other better. Be confident that you are amazing, and no one could reject that smile!

Now that you are swimming with knowledge to approach him, go put those plans into action. The feelings between you both are probably mutual, and worst possibility is that you make a new cute friend. You’re awesome, and you’ll make him feel awesome about himself, so it a win-win deal! I’m sure you have many attractive boys in your line of sight right now!

Thutrang, also known as Mimi, is a student at the Conrad N. Hilton College majoring in Hotel and Restaurant Management with an emphasis in Event Management. Ideally, she likes to explore in positive magnitudes whether it consists of social interactions or spiritual guidance. She is an open-minded person who is more than likely to find your sense of taste in music, conspiracies, clothes, dreams, study habits, etc. inspiring. 
"Writing means sharing. It's part of the human condition to want to share things - thoughts, ideas, opinions."