12 Reasons You Should Read Piper Perish

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

“Now is the time for fearlessness”

Piper is a charismatic young artist who hopes to fulfill her longed dream of leaving Houston, and going to art school in New York with her best friend Kit and her boyfriend Enzo. Piper feels very excited and hopeful until her world is shaken up by the people she loves the most. Enzo breaks up with Piper and reveals he’s gay, her not-so-easy-to-deal-with older sister is pregnant, her friendship with Kit is tested when their plans for New York don’t go as planned, and the financial concerns of attending college start to accumulate on her shoulders. Piper’s world seems to be falling apart when things don’t happen as she envisioned.  

Piper Perish is a YA (Young Adult) contemporary novel by debut author Kayla Cagan.

1. It takes place in Houston! 
  2. Piper is the artsy best friend you wish you had.
  3. It has that sister that annoys you all the time but you love with all your heart.
  4. Because it touches themes such as sexual orientation.
  5. Piper’s bff  Kit will remind you of your bff.
  6. If you love art then you’ll love this book.
  7. The Andy Warhol references are super relatable.
  8. Her financial college struggles are our struggles.
  9. The boy drama.
  10. There’s that cool teacher you admire so much.
  11. You’ll wish you had Piper’s style.
  12. Piper is the strong and independent role model you need when you’re feeling down.

​Pick up a copy of Piper Perish at your nearest bookstore. You won’t regret it!

*Thank you to author Kayla Cagan and Chronicle Books for sending me an ARC of Piper Perish. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of this article.

Madeline, also known as Maddie is a student at the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences. She is majoring in Spanish with a minor in Education. Maddie enjoys reading, wrting, and ballet. Follow her on Instagram: @maddieareyes
Irina Alejandro is a sophomore at the University of Houston, getting a major in political science and two minors women's studies and international affairs. In her spare time she loves singing loudly in the shower, forcing herself to workout, and talking excessively about politics. She also enjoys long walks on the beach, going to PTA meetings and crying over minor inconveniences. If you want to contact her for a date, leave a comment on one of her articles.