This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

The most stressful time of the semester is slowly creeping up again…finals week! Everyone deals with stress differently, but some of the ways we cope can actually bring on additional stress. Here are some ways that could be helpful:

Create a game plan

Create a list or write down assignments and their due dates. It may be best to have a full timeline to have a better look at your schedule so that way you can add breaks (because they will be highly needed). Adding breaks in intervals to your schedule can help you work longer. Breaks can consist of watching a funny video, going for a walk, or calling a friend or family member for a couple of minutes.

Be honest with yourself

With such a time crunch, prioritizing assignments and exams will end up having a better impact on your grade and will be the best for managing your stress. Don’t sugarcoat anything and be realistic about what you can accomplish in such a time crunch. Finals week is not the time to bring an F up to an A.

Gather all your resources and notes needed for finals

Some classes don’t require a final exam if you have the letter grade desired and some even have finals that are not cumulative. Knowing what is going to be covered on your final exams will definitely help you focus while studying, and gathering all the required materials will make the studying flow easier. 

Treat yourself

Aside from the norm of your favorite coffee or tea, other favorite treats can help boost your mood while studying. Get those nuggets from Chick-fil-A, and you’ll definitely see your mood towards studying change! Getting something outside of the norm can definitely make studying exciting and more fun. Ice cream is also a good treat and will definitely get your mood up. Let studying be your excuse for treating yourself! 

Go for a walk

While in the process of changing your study scenery, avoid driving or taking a bus. This is the perfect timing to get some exercise in by walking to your next destination. Exercise is a great way to relieve stress and a way of getting your mind off of school. Walking, or exercising in general, will help clear up your mind and make you feel better before having to hit the books again. Feeling good when studying can help increase your productivity. 

Go to bed

It’s the norm for people to be tempted to skip sleep and study all night long, but this only makes things worse! A lack of sleep can impair your memory, your mood, and your ability to process information. Make sure you allow yourself to get 8-9 hours of sleep per night. Getting a good night’s rest can allow your brain to fully function and to have more energy throughout the day. This can also cause your concentration levels to remain high. 

Finals weeks can be very stressful, but if the stress is managed properly, it can be very doable. Remember that, although grades are very important, they do not define you. Try using these tips for an easy flow of finals stress. Good luck!

I am a Sophomore at UGA majoring in Exercise and Sports Science with a minor in Sports Management. I enjoy writing for fun.