Career

“There’s Always Going to be a Reason to Not To” : A Conversation with USA Paralympian Gold Medalist Alana Nichols

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

One thing I am always looking for are ways to support and empower other women. I recently came across the PSK Collective, which is a group of professional female athletes that have a mission to have a positive impact on young girls. The brand sells athletic apparel that is “geared toward the Gen Z athlete.” The PSK Collective strives to inspire young women to break boundaries and live without limits. I was so intrigued by the brand that I reached out to learn more and talk with one of their ambassadors. I had the privilege to interview Alana Nichols, a USA Paralympian Gold Medalist. She is an American Paralympic wheelchair basketball player and alpine skier, and she is passionate about the mission of PSK collective: to empower women through advocating for equal pay and supporting the Women’s Sports Foundations. 

Kenzie Sinon (KS): Thank you so much for taking the time to share your ideas with me about equality and empowerment! Her Campus works to empower females by creating community spaces on college campuses around the country. For my first question, I just wanted to ask you what drew you to the PSK Collective as a brand and mission that you wanted to support?

Alana Nichols (AN): First off, thank you for doing what you do! We are stronger together and creating space for women to come together can only mean more strength and unity in our community! I chose to work with PSK Collective largely due to the fantastic leadership of  Phaidra Knight. You may not know this powerhouse yet, but she’s a Rugby Hall of Fame inductee and is currently training MMA… what 👏🏼 a 👏🏼 boss 👏🏼.  Also, this brand has a clear missionequal pay and part of the proceeds from this brand will be donated to the Women’s Sports Foundations whose mission is “to enable girls and women to reach their potential in sport and life.” And I’m all about that!

KS: Next, I want to ask you to share more about your feelings on being a woman in professional sports. What unique challenges have you faced, and how have you overcome them?

AN: Well, a little background on me: I was a 3-sport high school athlete being recruited to play fast pitch softball when I broke my back and became paralyzed at the age of 17.  I was then introduced to wheelchair basketball and set my sights on competing at the Paralympic level. If it hadn’t been for my resourcefulness, I wouldn’t have reached my goals due to adaptive athletics being grossly underfunded. I was able to complete both my undergraduate and graduate degrees on various grants and scholarships that I applied for while playing and competing in wheelchair basketball. Adaptive sports are almost entirely left out of mainstream media, and as a result, we don’t get the funds necessary for athletes to reach their goals. Representation matters, and that’s why at the Women’s Sports Foundation. And as a PSK ambassador, we are doing all we can to raise awareness and include women of all abilities, colors, and sexual orientations in The Collective.

KS: I know a part of the PSK Collective’s mission is to constantly strive to break boundaries. Can you share a personal story about a boundary you have broken?

AN: As an athlete with a disability, I’ve had a lot of barriers and boundaries to overcome including negotiating my worth. I’m a 3-times gold medalist in two sports, the first female American to win gold in the summer and winter games, and am also a public speaker. I constantly have to negotiate with sponsors and speaking to clients that think because I have a disability I am worthless. It’s my job to advocate so that others that come after me won’t have to do the same.

KS: Another part of the PSK Collective’s mission is to empower people of all body types. Do you have any advice or words of wisdom for women that have interest in fitness and want to be active, but are feeling reserved about getting started? Or do you have any thoughts about to how empower other women of all body types?

AN: You know Nike’s iconic slogan “Just do it”? Mine is “Just Try”! So many of the pivotal moments in my career developed into amazing opportunities because I just tried.  Put on your PSK workout gear, get in the car, and go to the gym or work out at home… just try, every day.

KS: Any final thoughts or words to share with the female University of Georgia community in general?

AN: There’s always going to be a reason not to. Not to dream big, not to reach your goals, and not to make progress, but there’s always a stronger reason why you should. Find your reason and your why, and let that drive you to your dreams and goals!

I hope you will gain as much inspiration from her words as I did.

Kenzie is an education major.