Wellness > Health

The Importance of work-life-balance in college

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Although I recently turned 20, meaning I am technically no longer a teenager (even though I still mentally feel like I’m 17), I can confidently say I still don’t know what I’m doing in life.

As a sophomore in college, you would think I would be better at managing my time and staying on top of my assignments, but that would be a lie.

I think the biggest thing no one really tells you when you are in college is how to manage your time well. A lot of people, including myself, either get carried away trying to work too much into their schedule or not enough. As a young adult attending a university, there are so many things you need to worry about, like getting that degree, doing well in class, achieving personal goals, spending quality time with friends, work, other projects, the future, etc. It’s a lot.

College prepares you for the real world in the sense that it makes you a well-rounded, independent individual capable of making life decisions. Most students begin working part-time jobs and internships in their preferred profession, along with taking classes for their degree, further emphasizing the importance of a good work-life balance in college.

Here are some tips that helped me organize my time and tasks in college that don’t take too much effort to start getting into the habit of.

1.) Planning a to-do list/schedule

For me, I started making daily to-do lists in my notes app, as it’s easy to access. I make a list of all the tasks I have to do and places I need to go, not only so I can remember, but also so I don’t procrastinate either. I think a lot of college students struggle with procrastination and I am definitely one of them. On days when I only have one or two classes, I either cram too much into my free time or do nothing at all, which is why that work-life balance is important.

2.) Prioritizing your work

Prioritizing work from most important to least important can also prohibit procrastination because, I don’t know about you, but whenever there is a specific deadline, I am motivated to finish whatever I need to do. Creating a mental or physical list of tasks ranked from “most important” to “least important” definitely helps in managing my time.

3.) Set reasonable goals

I think a lot of students get overwhelmed when trying to set goals because they can be too far-fetched or not attainable. However, in order to create a healthy balance in college, I think the first step should be considering what exactly you want to achieve, whether that’s daily, weekly, or monthly. Set specific and attainable goals that you know you can commit to, and take them step-by-step.

4.) Avoid perfectionism

In high school, I was a perfectionist when it came to my grades and wanted every single thing to work out. But the reality is that nothing and nobody is perfect, and sometimes you have to accept that and remember you are only human. You need to be patient with yourself and focus on what you can and can’t control.

5.) Take breaks

If you don’t allow yourself to take breaks, you’ll blow up.

I’m just kidding. But seriously, your brain and body need time to refresh and relax, especially if you’re going at 100 mph every day, so don’t overload yourself and avoid burnout by taking breaks and engaging in other interests.

These tips worked great for me, but of course, everyone is different, so finding out what works best for you to maintain a healthy work-life balance in college will really help you in the long run!

Julia is an Entertainment & Media Studies major. She enjoys all types of music (except country), anything with pesto sauce, and sitcoms. In her free time she loves exploring new places with friends, cooking, and watching movies.