Superbowl Sunday Snack Guide: Collegiette Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Super Bowl Snacking

I’m not much of a sports fan, so watching some guys hit each other and toss around a ball for three hours is not my idea of a good time. For me, Super Bowl Sunday is really about two things—the commercials and the food.  Since I haven’t been too impressed by the commercials since the E-Trade Baby’s debut, the food takes center stage. I usually watch the game with some boys who love their grills and fryers (which is great because I can put away some hot wings when necessary), but that means the dip and veggies are typically in short supply.  This year I’ve decided to remedy the situation by bringing some snacks of my own to balance out the copious amounts of burgers and barbeque.  I’ve brought together three of my favorite party snacks that any collegiette can whip up Sunday morning. Don’t be fooled by their calorie-filled appearances—each of these snacks are delicious and healthy, so go ahead and eat an extra hot wing (or five)!

Roasted Tomato Hummus

Ingredients

• 4 garlic cloves
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Two 1-pound 3-ounce cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 2/3 cup well-stirred tahini
  • ¼ cup lemon juice (or to taste if you want less)
  • ½ cup olive oil
  • ½-1 cup roasted tomatoes
  • Whatever you’d like to serve with it! Veggies, pita chips, tortilla chips…anything you want!

Directions

1. Add all ingredients to a food processor (or blender) and blend until smooth and creamy.
  2. Pour it into a bowl and serve it with your dippers!

Baked Onion Rings

Ingredients

• 1 large sweet onion
  • 2/3 cup flour
  • 2/3 cup + 1 tbsp veggie broth
  • 2 tbsp cornstarch
  • ½ cup cornmeal
  • 1 cup breadcrumbs
  • ¼ cup nutritional yeast (optional)
  • ¾ tsp salt
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp dried herbs, any combo you’d like

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425F and spray or line your baking sheet (parchment paper would be best). Slice your onion into rings (about ¾ inch wide) and reserve about 15-22, depending on how many rings you need. Use more if you need to (although you may need to make multiple batches).
  2. In a small bowl, combine batter ingredients (cornstarch, flour, broth).
  3. In a separate bowl, combine coating ingredients (cornmeal, breadcrumbs, yeast, salt, garlic powder and herbs).
  4. Using a fork, dip a ring into the batter, making sure to coat all sides. Transfer the ring to the coating mixture and toss it around some. Scoop some coating and sprinkle it on the ring to get good coverage. Place on baking sheet, and repeat!
  5. Bake for about 18 minutes at 425F, flipping once after about 10 minutes. If you want, you can broil them for a minute or two at the end for a nice, brown finish. Serve them immediately with your favorite dip!

Mini Mexican Pizzas

Ingredients

• 3-4 large, whole-wheat tortillas
  • 1 cup lean ground turkey, browned (or any other meat you’d like)
  • ½ cup salsa
  • 2 tsp dry taco seasoning
  • ½ cup low-fat refried beans
  • ½ cup low fat shredded cheese
  • Any toppings you’d like to add (olives, lettuce, sour cream, etc.)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425F. Spray a 12-count muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
  2. Lay each tortilla on a flat surface and use a can, cup or cookie cutter to cut 3-4 circles out of each one.
  3. Press each tortilla circle into a muffin tin (it’s okay if the sides aren’t completely covered, it should just fit snuggly)
  4. In a small bowl, mix together the meat, salsa, seasoning and beans.
  5. Scoop about 1/8 cup of meat mixture into each tortilla circle.
  6. Top with shredded cheese (and olives, if desired)
  7. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted
  8. Wait for the mini pizzas to cool and remove them from the muffin pan with a fork or knife.  Serve with any additional toppings you’d like!
Cassie used to work for Vogue and spend Sunday mornings drinking English Breakfast Tea in her rooftop garden while updating her food blog, but then she woke up and realized she was late for her photojournalism class. Now she spends her time counting down to her May 2013 graduation from UGA and writing about food and fashion, because that's really all she's good at. If you have nothing better to do, you can follow her on Twitter here.