This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

After the famous 18th birthday: “I’m an adult. I can do what I want. Respect me.”

As the year comes to an end, so does my first year of adulthood. Here are some of the realities of being an adult that, well, SUCK. Let’s begin:

1. Doctor’s Appointments

Making your own doctor’s appointments? What do I say when I call the office? What number do I hit for the extension I want? When do I need to hit the pound key? When was the last time I went to the dentist? Has it been six months? AHHHHHH!!!

2. Buying Groceries

Buying your own groceries sucks. Why is food so expensive? I now wholeheartedly understand the show about extreme couponers- we shouldn’t judge them- they have the right idea! Here’s what it feels like at the check out line: 

3. Voting

So, another main facet of being an adult is voting. Apparently, we need to “register” to vote…This can be an overwhelming feeling because adults who vote participate in making decisions about our future, which will eventually be a part of history. The idea that we could be making those decisions-and maybe even the wrong ones- is a terrifying notion that makes adulthood all the more intimidating. It’s like if there was a Facebook status update for what stage of life you were going through, voting would be on the checklist for being an adult. So, once you’ve registered to vote, you could update your “stage-of-life status” to “Recently Became An Adult.”

4. Maintaining a Vehicle

For real, guys, why is that when there’s a half a tank left gas prices are in inexpensive; then, conveniently when the car needs to be filled up again, gas prices have shot up! WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN?! 

On top of pouring limited funds into gas, we also have to fork out another chunk of change for an oil change every 3-4,000 miles…is it not enough already that we are forced to continuously bleed our accounts for money to put gas in the car, but we have to bleed even more just to make sure the dang thing will function properly?  

Movies and TV always made driving and owning a car look so cool and fun, but little did they tell us about the stark and expensive reality of car ownership. 

Here’s how feels after spending so much money on your car:

After these realizations during my first year of “adulting,” here is a refreshed, more adult-minded-perspective on wants and needs: “All I want for Christmas are gift cards to the grocery stores, gas stations, and restaurants I frequently go to so I don’t have to spend my own money. I also take cash or check.” 

Thumbnail photo courtesy of Annie Spratt on Unsplash

I am an Entertainment and Media Studies and Film Studies double major pursuing certificates in Interdisciplinary Writing and New Media. I hail from Acworth, Ga, and enjoy writing, pointing out inaccuracies in movies, and binge watching any highly-rated show on Netflix with a healthy five or more seasons. Outside of stressing for grades I need to maintain Zell, I also enjoy being sarcastic and spending time with my friends.    *Yes, that is my high school senior picture. It cost a lot of money; I have no shame.