This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

This week’s profile focuses on a wonderful woman and UGA Alumna – Shea Davis. She’s Senior Vice President of Mitchell Communications in Fayetteville, Arkansas and just so happens to be my aunt.

What are some unique traditions that UGA does or special events in the town of Athens that you’ll never forget?  

The University of Georgia and Athens will always be special to me. That is where I “grew up” and got a great education that has helped me throughout my varied career. What I remember most about my time at Georgia were the traditions around football games, especially the atmosphere on campus before kickoff. And, of course, after a win, the sound of the bell! Nothing like being on campus after a win!   Another favorite memory for me was when we had a huge snow storm. Classes were canceled; so, of course my friend and I were up at about 5 a.m. to walk up to north campus. It was magical: no people or cars yet. Just everything covered in snow. I smile every time I think of that day.  

What were/are your favorite restaurants in Athens?

Okay, I am going to really date myself here. I had several restaurants that I still miss to this day: Chow Goldstein (the only kosher, Chinese restaurant in the world – or so it claimed); Taco Shack (yum!); and Wildwood’s (if anyone has their recipe for herb chicken, I’d pay to get it).

Describe your favorite memory from college. Can be kosher or not.

I had so many amazing times at UGA – with friends that made such an impact on my life.   Besides the snow day that included watching the sun come up, my favorite memory has to be seeing my parents’ faces when I graduated. Education meant everything to them, and I believe I was the first girl in our extended family to graduate from a university. I thought my dad’s face would split in two – his grin was that big! And my sweet mama had tears on her “Mrs. Santa Claus” cheeks when she hugged me. All the late nights, anxiety and stress were worth it to see how my achievement made them so proud and happy.  

You currently live in a college town in Arkansas. How’s it different from Athens? How is it similar?  

I love a college town. No better bookstores and coffee shops than in a true college town. Athens (when I was there) and Fayetteville, Arkansas, have so much in common – again great bookstores and coffee shops.   Fayetteville is a storybook college town. The campus landmark (Old Main) stands out on the landscape. The support for University of Arkansas is embedded in everything here. I think I learned to “call the hogs” before I even had a permanent address when I moved here more than five years ago to work at Mitchell, an award winning, full-service public relations agency. And, Fayetteville is so much smaller than Athens; so, everyone is very familiar with what is happening on campus.   But, Athens holds a special place in my heart. And, no place on earth is as beautiful as Athens in the spring.

You’ve obviously been extremely successful in your career. Is there a professor or mentor or anyone whom you met at UGA that contributed to that?

My area of emphasis in J-School was News & Editorial. I took one intro to PR class, but at that time, I wasn’t even sure what public relations was. I wanted to be a newspaper reporter. And my hero was Dr. Wally Eberhard, who taught me public affairs reporting. He opened a new world for me of reporting for the good of the public on the workings of government – which should be for the people (ha!). He was tough – and a stickler for AP Style. His edits were severe. Through his teaching, he made me a better writer and editor. His example influenced my writing, whether I was a reporter, an editor, a public relations agency person or heading communications for a corporation. And, I smile every time someone tells me what a great writer/editor I am. Thanks, Dr. Eberhard!

When you’re seeking interns or young professionals to come work with you, what are the qualities that set apart those who succeed and those who don’t (other than having attended UGA)?

At Mitchell, we have never had an intern from the University of Georgia – and we must correct that error. We work with some of the largest companies and best known brands in the world. We love having interns who want to learn and get familiar with agency life. We are looking for candidates who want to learn, who have initiative and are willing to give any assignment their all. At the same time, we want someone who is willing to think for his or her self and not be afraid to speak up. And it doesn’t hurt if you have a great sense of humor! So, look on our website, and apply for an internship. And, don’t forget, we also have offices in New York City and Chicago.   I can also tell you that when we are hiring for entry-level positions, we look for internships, internships and internships. We want to see that drive, that desire for perfection or as we say, “an entrepreneurial spirit.” Again, look on our website: www.mitchcommgroup.com and apply today. You will love Mitchell!

Dealing with the realities of undergrad in PR until I can move back to Disney World.