The Lazy Girl’s Guide to Cooking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

When you’re cooking for one, it’s difficult to find the right balance of buying just enough food to get you through the week or buying too much food and it goes to waste. Here are some tips to eating healthy, while not overwhelming yourself with having to figure out meals to make (and staying on a budget too!).

Wraps and Sandwiches Are Your Best Friends:

Wraps are amazing because there is no set ingredients that you have to use every time. You can have a veggie wrap, a hummus wrap, or a turkey wrap–whatever you may be feeling that day. Making wraps is an easy way to keep a little bit of a variety without breaking the bank or spending an hour a day cooking dinner. 

The Crock Pot Will Be a Lifesaver:

You just throw some chicken and other flavorings into a crock pot in the morning and when you come home eight hours later, it’s ready to eat. Who doesn’t love a warm, home-cooked meal waiting on them when they get back after a long day?

Meal Planning/Prep is Your Second Best Friend:

When you decide what you’re going to eat for the entire week ahead of time, it makes everything a lot easier. Half the battle of cooking is trying to decide what you want to make every single day. This limits that daily frustration and will make your life a whole lot easier. 

Sometimes You Just Gotta Treat Yo Self:

Some days, when you just don’t feel like cooking, you have to go out and eat. When you aren’t feeling it, or feel like you’ve been productive enough, go get yourself a pizza. You deserve it. 

Cooking in college is a constant journey where you don’t quite know what you’re doing a lot of the time. Like life, you just have to figure it out as you go. Happy cooking! 

Erin Gilmore is a Georgia native, born and raised in Forsyth County. Since 2015, she has been attending The University of Georgia. She is majoring in Risk Management and Insurance and Advertising. She loves to learn new things and go on adventures with her friends. In her free time, she likes to hang out with her dogs, read and travel.