This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

I’ve spent a lot of time over the years reading many a novel, most of which made use of that lovely little subplot we like to refer to as “romance.” Some have been good, some have been bad, some have been “meh,” but some have been extraordinary—and luckily, I’ve compiled a few for you. Here are seven book couples that redefine the word “crush.”

(Obvious Spoilers Ahead!)

Feyre and Rhysand

I never expected to love this couple as much as I do now when I started this series, and while I haven’t actually FINISHED the series yet, I do know that this relationship’s development is definitely worth the hype.

Notable quote: “There you are, I’ve been looking for you.”

Katniss and Peeta

One of the first couples I ever came to love. They’re just a perfect match for each other, and honestly, how can anyone else compete with the bond you form with another person while having to fight for your life…twice?

Notable quote: “You love me: real or not real?” — “Real.”

Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy

This would not be a compilation of epic loves if Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy were not on here. Jane Austen is the original queen of romance and relationships, and Pride and Prejudice sits among the Book Hall of Champions. (Would that just be considered a library?)

Notable quote: “You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.”

Tessa and Will

Cassandra Clare really peaked with this pairing, and no, I will not be hearing arguments from the “Jem and Tessa” camp today. 

Notable quote: “You are the first dream of my soul, and from that dream I hope will come all other dreams, a lifetime’s worth.”

Scarlet and Wolf (or really any couple from the Lunar Chronicles)

I’m specifically citing Scarlet and Wolf here, but really, Marissa Meyer, Queen of Fairytale Retellings, created four solid couples that could easily fit here instead—I just happen to appreciate the fact that this relationship had me tearful on my bedroom floor at 2 am.

Notable quote: “I think I realized that I would rather die because I betrayed them, than live because I betrayed you.”

Kaz and Inej

Talk about a slowburn. This couple was so magnificently written that you forget they basically don’t touch the entire time. 

Notable quote: “I will have you without armor, Kaz Brekker. Or I will not have you at all.”

Percy and Annabeth

This list wouldn’t be complete without these two. Couples who fall into the pits of Tartarus together, stay together.

Notable quote: “He didn’t think much of fates and prophecies, but he did believe in one thing: Annabeth and he were supposed to be together.”

I know it’s hard to believe, but some romances are just so epic that they require their own term. The word “crush” doesn’t belong to us anymore—it belongs to them.

Presley is a senior at the University of Georgia and one of the Campus Correspondents for her Her Campus chapter. She is pursuing a double major in criminal justice and psychology, as well as a minor in Italian, and she hopes to attend law school after graduation. She plans to someday become a criminal prosecutor. When she's not binge-watching Law and Order, she's studying languages, literature, or music.