5 Ways to Celebrate Halloween in a Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

We collegiettes may be a bit too old to go trick-or-treating, but that doesn’t mean Halloween has gone out of style! Check out our trips to see how you can celebrate this awesome fall holiday from the comfort of your own dorm room. 

1. Decorate your dorm with a few key items. 

No collegiate has the time or budget for a full set-up of Halloween decorations, but adding a few bits of Halloween cheer will help set the mood for your October festivities! Try making a pumpkin garland to hang on your door, drape some spider webs around your room, or pick up a cheap pumpkin to keep on your desk. 

2. Get into the halloween spirit with a spooky movie.

Whether you’re a fan of real horror like The Conjuring or a fun themed flicks like Halloweentown and Twitches, watching a movie is a great way to get yourself into the Halloween spirit! Grab a bunch of friends, pile onto a futon, and scream/laugh as much as possible. Can’t decide whether to go scary or cheesy? Try both! There’s nothing wrong with a spooky double-feature. 

3. Plan your costume.

Most collegiettes need to have enough costume material to get themselves through the entire Halloweekend. Make sure you plan your outfit in advance so you aren’t scrambling for something at the last minute!

4. Binge-watch a scary show.

Some of our favorites are Supernatural, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Vampire Diaries, and American Horror Story. If none of those sound appealing, try finding a Halloween episode of your favorite Netflix addiction to get yourself in a festive mood. 

5. Candy, obviously.

We may not be able to trick-or-treat anymore, but that doesn’t stop us from enjoying some spooky sweets. Don’t hold yourself back from seasonal snacks like candy corn and orange-dyed Kit-Kats. But don’t make yourself sick: enjoy your candy in moderation!

Less than a week until Halloween, collegiettes! Have fun celebrating, and be sure to stay safe. 

Kendall is pursuing a bachelors in journalism and a masters in emerging media in at the University of Georgia. After joining Her Campus UGA in the fall of 2015, she became one of the team's Campus Correspondents in fall 2016. During this time, HC UGA has flourished, moving from the Bronze level all the way to Pink, and it has been selected for national partnerships including the Her Campus Tour in 2018. Kendall hopes to someday work in the intersection of technology and journalism, and she adores books, travel, volunteering, and the color teal.