5 Reasons to Watch Netflix’s New Spanish Drama, Elite

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Elite is Netflix’s new young-adult telenovela, which appears to be a mix between Gossip Girl, How to Get Away with Murder, and Thirteen Reasons Why. This shows deals with social issues such as wealth inequality, drug abuse and sexuality, all while being a murder mystery show. If you haven’t started Elite yet you are missing out, but in case you need some extra convincing, here are five reasons why you should start this series.

Reason 1: Hot Spanish Actors

Every actor and actress on the show is extremely good looking, and even better, they speak Spanish. It’s called a romance language for a reason! When I started watching the show, my friends started asking me who I thought the hottest person was, and the same will happen to you. This show does not disappoint! Move over Gossip Girl hunks, because the Elite cast is here to take your place!

Reason 2: Learn the Spanish Language

American Spanish classes usually teach Latin American Spanish, which means there is a slightly varied vocabulary and a different dialect. The great thing about Elite is that you don’t have to speak Spanish to start understanding a little bit of the language. In the first episode I recognized a few words, but by the eighth episode I found myself no longer reading the subtitles and I still understood what was going on. My roommate speaks French and she even started understanding the language. I’m not saying you will be a master of the language, but I assure you that you will be able to recognize some words by the end of the show. The best part of it all is you won’t even realize it; the show was so interesting that I forgot it wasn’t in English.

Reason 3: See Life in a Different Country

Before Elite, I thought religious prejudice was only a major problem in the US. I was very wrong and it was very enlightening to learn otherwise. Social issues that are common in America are also common in Spain. Nadia and Omar, two characters on the show, have to deal with religious prejudice towards them on a daily basis. They also have to go against their heart when their culture and their parents forbid them to be with their significant others. Similar storylines happen in American television and in American lives off screen. This show will give you a different view of the world while still being relatable.

Reason 4: Basically a Second Gossip Girl!

If you loved Gossip Girl then you can think of this as the Spanish version that took the drama a step further. The similar themes on Elite attract Gossip Girl fans who have already rewatched the six seasons and are craving more. Elite’s characters are parallel to Gossip Girl characters. Think of it as Chuck, Blair, Serena, Dan, Jenny, Nate and Vanessa with a little twist. Of course there is no “gossip girl” in the new show, but a murder is just as interesting.

Reason 5: You Will Never Guess Who the Murderer Is

Every character gets investigated about the murder and everyone has their own story about what happened. The ending is shocking, but you can watch it for yourself, hear all of the witnesses and make your own inference about who the murderer is. I didn’t even know who died until halfway through the first season, so that’s something you can guess too! Play along with your friends to see who can solve the mystery!

Gossip Girl, How to Get Away with Murder, and Thirteen Reasons Why fans unite and check out Elite! You won’t regret it!

Brianna Mays is one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at UGA. She was born and raised in Gwinnett County, GA. She is a Terry Business Student majoring in Management: Human Resouces with a minor in Spanish and Fashion Merchandising.