This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Are you having a stressful week at school? Did you get into a fight with a friend? Run into some bad luck? Or has the weather been getting you down? Whatever it may be, sometimes you just feel blue. It can be really hard to get out of a slump when you don’t feel your best. Fortunately for you, there are a few easy ways you can improve your mood and feel inspired.

Listen to upbeat music that you can sing along to 

This is one of the most popular ways to boost someone’s mood. Music has this incredible ability to evoke emotion. If you listen to music that is joyful and upbeat, your feelings will feed off that positive energy. If you need suggestions for happy and upbeat music, you can always check playlists of Spotify or look to Pinterest for some ideas.

Step away from social media

Anyone who has social media knows that it can take up a lot of someone’s time. It can also drain your emotional energy. Only seeing the “good side” of everyone’s life on social media can make it easy to compare your own life to other’s. There has also been research on the relationship between increasing social media use and increasing rates of depression and anxiety. Unplug for a bit, you would be surprised at what productive things you could do instead of searching the web! 

Go work out

Endorphins. Endorphins. Endorphins. Must I say more? Exercising has scientifically been proven to increase endorphin levels, which contribute to how good someone feels emotionally. It is productive, good for your emotional and physical health, and it can help you destress and recollect your thoughts.

Talk to someone who makes you laugh

Whether you are or aren’t a social butterfly, you may want to try surrounding yourself with positive people. Being around people who make you smile and laugh, even when you don’t feel like it, can inspire you to feel happy. Also, laughter is the best medicine.

Write

My personal favorite way to better my mood is writing. Writing down what you are feeling is cathartic. Organizing your thoughts onto paper can feel as if you are lifting your burdens off your shoulders. It is also a good idea to write down goals to accomplish. This can encourage you to be productive or at least feel motivated.

There are so many other ways to help boost your mood and it varies by each individual. However you may feel, don’t forget to take time out of your schedule to do something you love.

Anna was born and raised in Georgia and is studying Communications Studies at the University of Georgia. Her favorite shows include Glee, New Girl, and Friends! After college, she hopes to move to New York and work in Public Relations or Event Planning. She loves to travel, write, and hang out with her friends.