Girl Holding Vinyl Record
Girl Holding Vinyl Record
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

We Weren’t Ready for This King Princess Drop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

When 21-year-old King Princess, also known as Mikaela Straus, dropped her beloved single “1950” back in 2018, her fan base seemed to rapidly emerge.

Since then, her rise to fame has been unstoppable. King Princess attracted a community of followers that were drawn to her unapologetic ownership of star power.

Additionally, the confidence Straus held in her sexuality created a new narrative through pop anthems like “Talia” and “Pussy Is God.” Her iconic appeal to the LGBTQ+ community is undeniable. 

In a recent interview conducted by Lizzy Goodman at the New York Times, Straus said she is “emotionally lesbian,” but “‘culturally’ a gay man: Not really a woman, I’ve never been a woman. I’m a drag queen.”

The queer identity of Straus is harmonious with the stories and realities of so many youthful individuals exploring the spectrum of sexuality. King Princess confines herself to no boxes, both in her personal life and her music. 

In February, King Princess dropped some unexpected additions into her previously released album Cheap Queen

The original version of the album was great. It was full of everything you’d expect from King Princess.

Full of top-end synth beats and dreamy, vintage vocals, her preceding singles prepared dedicated listeners. Nobody was ready for the final five, however. 

In the same interview, Goodman wrote: “it’s apparent that as magnetic as King Princess is, if she becomes a superstar, it will be because Mikaela Straus willed it.” 

These recent add-ons showcase the range and potential of King Princess.

Fans were longing for the same grit and energy that her personality holds.

That aggressive and egotistical essence that makes her so irresistible is alive in these songs.

These could lead her to that “superstar” status. 

The beginning of “Ohio” eases you in with sultry serenading and twangy acoustics.

When the beat falls into a disturbed electric guitar break, you won’t know what hit you.

It felt like this is the sound the young artist had been chasing, and when she found it, she went all in. 

Alternatively, “All Dressed in White” is so deeply intimate that we can see past the IDGAF attitude King Princess so often camouflages behind. It’s super sweet. So, if you want to cry, go slow dance to this track. 

“Forget About It” reminds me a lot of the OG KP.

Featuring Banoffee, this song employs robot harmonies and synth keys that make this song easy to vibe to.

This is clearly a formula she’s found  successful, so it has a recognizable feeling. 

“Best Friend” has a very submissive instrumental and really lets the lyrics have a moment.

While recalling the memories of a platonic soulmate and debating whether or not the emotional capacity for this person remains, this one hit me home. 

And lastly “Back of a Cab” is all about romanticizing a past relationship.

She relishes in the fact that she’s still on her past lover’s mind, something we all get satisfaction from. And as she magically puts it, “You like gay shit.” 

Yes, Mikaela Straus, yes, we do. Keep delivering. 

Madeline is a second-year Journalism major at the University of Florida. She loves rainy days, trips that revitalize your soul, and speaking up for what she believes in. She strives to use her voice as a catalyst for conversations about the female college experience and equality for all. See more of her life on Instagram: @maduhlinemurphy & more of her work at: www.madelinenmurphy.com