This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Love is alive! Valentine’s Day is almost here, which means fun adventures with your partner if you’re lucky enough to have one. But if you’re single, like I’ve been every Valentine’s, then no worries. This is our holiday, too. This is a day to celebrate love, which includes self-love ladies, so prepare yourself for a wild Valentine’s that’s all about you. Don’t dread going into restaurants or the general public by yourself. You’re with the hottest date in town, so treat yourself like it by doing these things.

Treat yo’ self

I’m not suggesting buying that beautiful heart-shaped purse from Kate Spade, but that new plant or skincare cream you’ve been eyeing — get it baby. If it’s been a while since you’ve had a meal at your favorite restaurant, then get dressed cute, call your friends and eat until you’re full. Get that desert, too. This is not the day to hold back but to go all out. It’s not just the material things to treat yourself with, but also be kind to yourself. It can be tempting to fall into a self-hatred on this day. Wondering why you’re not in a pair when everyone seems to be in one can be hard, but a relationship status does not determine your worth. Remind yourself that you’re beautiful, smart and a kind person that deserves love and receives love from yourself and those who care about you.  

Get dressed up

Is there a cute fit you thought would be great for a Valentine’s date if you had one? Great news! You’re having a date with your beautiful self, so get that piece you’ve been eyeing! It’s important to remember that you don’t have to have a socially agreed upon reason to look cute. The way you dress is not dependent on anyone or anything besides you. Wear flamboyant things every day or go to class in your pajamas. Either way, if you feel good, you’ll look good.

Do something for yourself

Sometimes it feels like you need a reason to do something for yourself. Like it has to be your birthday or you had to accomplish a huge goal worth gratification. The truth is trying your best is an accomplishment. Life can be overwhelming, and it can feel like everything you’re doing isn’t good enough. If we’re not getting A’s or working in the highest position at the office, it can seem like we’re not doing anything worth a reward. We need to stop associating doing good things for ourselves as occasional things that occur with the social appraisal from others. So this Valentine’s Day go spend a day at the beach with friends or get your nails done. Especially because it’s a day to love yourself that falls on a Friday, so you carry the energy into the weekend.

Start something

We can put our ideas on self-improvement on the backburner when life gets busy. Take this day to change that and start the habit you’ve set aside. Maybe there’s a couple resolutions you’ve slacked on that you want to get back into. It’s not too late to do it. Start that bullet journal that’s been sitting on your nightstand or the habit tracker your favorite YouTuber raves about. It’s never too late to start something that will benefit you. It’s always the right time to do the best thing for yourself.

The media makes Valentine’s Day seem like a day fit for couples only, but love transcends romantic relationships. We have different loves for different relationships that we celebrate at various times of the year. Just because you don’t have a romantic love doesn’t mean you’re lacking something. Take it as an opportunity to give more to your other relationships, including the one with yourself. Be kind to yourself this Valentine’s day and every day after.

Racheal Jones is a senior at the University of Florida studying Sociology. She's completed research on family violence and is currently working on a new research project. She loves Marvel movies, sapphic fantasy novels and Taylor Swift. Outside of school, she's learning how to roller skate, take care of her plants and rock climb.