UFashion: How to Dress for a Winter-Workout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Winter is upon us ladies. With winter comes holiday pies, hot chocolate, fudge, and weight gain. Students have to stay healthy and exercise over break, but where? Being on winter break, college students don’t have access to a free gym, so most go for a run outside. Getting the motivation to run is hard enough as it is, especially if it’s cold outside. Here are some tips on how to stay warm and look cute during your holiday workout!

Tip No. 1: Cover your head! It’s reported that you lose 40 percent of your body heat from your head. Try a wool hat or a fleece headband, it’s perfect for keeping your head warm, plus it’s easy to tuck into your pants if you get too warm.

Tip No. 2: The key to winter running dress is layering. The layer closest to your body should be a DryFit-type of shirt. This material will keep sweat away from your body, keeping you dry.

The outer layer should be a wind-breaker, it protects against wind and rain, but also allows heat to escape so you don’t overheat. I recommend wearing a jacket with a zipper, that way you can regulate the temperature by zipping it up and down.

Tip No. 3: Legs generate a lot of heat so don’t layer up! Just wear a pair of athletic leggings!

Tip No. 4: Tennis shoes are fine to wear in the winter however, cotton socks are not. Cotton harbors wetness, so if you step in a puddle your feet will be cold and wet for the rest of your workout.

No one wants to be sick during the holidays, bundle up properly when you exercise so you can stay healthy over winter break. Don’t forget to use chapstick whether exercising or just going to a movie, the winter wind can do more damage than you think!