UF Wasn’t My First Choice, But Here’s What I’ve Realized

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

In light of the University of Florida rising in the ranks of public and national universities, I’ll be honest: UF was not my first-choice school. During my short time here, I’ve inevitably questioned, like many others, if I chose the wrong college.

As a journalism major, I had dreams of attending a school in New York City, Boston or Los Angeles. I longed to intern at The Boston Globe or The New York Times my freshman year. I wanted to be at the epicenter of all journalism and media related happenings.

When it turned out that I wouldn’t be attending any of my dream schools, I was naturally frustrated and upset. I would not be living out my big-city dreams. I would not be experiencing snow days in New York City or late nights out in the bustling city. When I was in high school, there was an unspoken stigma around attending UF as an in-state student — it was largely viewed as a backup school for many students. I’m sure I’m not the only one here at UF who had dreams of attending school in a big city instead of good ‘ol suburban Gainesville.

If you have dreams similar to mine, remember this: You have the rest of your life to live in a big city. There’s no real reason to rush it. Upon moving to Gainesville, I realized that if I had gone straight to a big city, I would have been completely blindsided. I’m not going to lie — I cried a lot my first few days here in Gainesville because I was overwhelmed with the change. I can’t even imagine what my first days in a new city would have been like, knowing I wasn’t just a couple hours away from home. When applying to college, most students want to get out of their hometown and escape as far away from it as possible. Remembering that I’m going to have many more opportunities to experience life in a big city in the coming years has helped me learn to — dare I say it — appreciate Gainesville a little more.

Although I’m not able to experience all four seasons like I would have been able to in New York City, I get to walk in the beating Florida heat with over 35,000 students every day. Because UF is such a big school, there’s a home for everyone. There are various types of communities here. There are really, really great people here. I was hesitant about attending UF because I was afraid that I would be surrounded by people who didn’t care about the same things I did. No matter where you go, there will always be people you can connect with, and there is no shortage here at UF. From Gator Gaming to the Environmental Horticulture Club, there’s a place for everyone.

You have to push yourself to find the people and involvements that will lead you towards accomplishing your goals. For example, I have found my place here at Her Campus UFL, and I could not be more excited about the upcoming semester, writing for and with such an incredible group of young women. I know that the experiences I will have here will stay with me for a lifetime, even if I don’t live in a big city.

Being at a top-20 university in a big city might be great, but it isn’t everything. Ivy League schools and top-20 universities are amazing, and I don’t intend to diminish the hard work that every one of the students attending these schools have put in. Being at an Ivy League university or a big-name top-20 school will put you at a greater position than most. However, that’s not to say that you can’t make connections and form important relationships right here at UF. Everyone here wants to be successful. There are so many professors and faculty members who are passionate about what they do, and they’re good at it. Most people don’t go to Ivy League schools, and they’re still successful, highlighting that college isn’t about where you go but what you make of your time there. This is the greatest predictor of your success — whether that’s in Gainesville or Boston.

I know it feels like our lives are in a delicate balance right now and every decision we make is going to determine our lives forever by altering the paths we are on. I know it feels like students attending Harvard have their whole lives figured out, but I can assure you that no one really does. I’m a firm believer in the idea that you get out what you put in to something. Being at UF or a big-name school will mean nothing if you’re not willing to put in the work.

Your four years of college are just a small part of what lies ahead of you. Don’t be discouraged just because you may not be attending your dream school. Let yourself experience college for what it is, and stop yearning for what could have been. The way I see it, I could spend my time loathing the fact that I’m not in New York City right now, or I could maximize my time at UF and make the most out of the great opportunities it has to offer.

So, no, I didn’t choose the wrong college. I’ve realized that the University of Florida is exactly where I’m supposed to be right now. I love the Gator traditions. I love being a part of something bigger than myself. I love that I’m in a place where I am encouraged to learn and strive for greatness and at the same time, not experiencing a cut-throat environment where everything is only about my future. I think it’s important to just be an 18-year-old right now and take in whatever it is that life has to offer me. Being at UF has really forced me to reflect on what I do have and to be grateful for every bit of it.

The University of Florida is a great school for many people. Whether it was your first choice or your backup option, the time you spend in the Swamp will be invaluable. You can’t spend all of your time here wishing you were somewhere else because you’ll miss out on even greater opportunities. The skills you acquire, the experiences you gain and the relationships you form will mean more than the name of your college ever will.

Keep pushing forward. Good luck, Gators.