assorted zodiac signs?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
assorted zodiac signs?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration on Canva for Her Campus Media

UF Landmarks as Zodiac Signs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

*Quick note: This list is purely based on my opinion and is just for fun! I am by no means an astrologist. The following comes entirely from the vibes that I get from each landmark.

Gator Ubiquity Statue – Aries

More commonly known as the gator on the globe outside of the College of Business, this statue represents how Gators are taking over the world, just like Aries will. These natural-born leaders are extremely ambitious, which Ubiquity perfectly embodies.

The Potato – Taurus

OK, before you get mad, hear me out. The Potato, aka the giant rock in Turlington Plaza, gives off major Earth vibes. Taurus are Earth signs. Not only that, but they are very reliable people, just like how you can rely on the Potato to be there for you in Turlington — it’s not going anywhere anytime soon. (I’m sorry, but someone has to be the Potato. I know many hate on it, but I personally like the landmark.)

Albert and Alberta Statue – Gemini

The Albert and Alberta Statue next to Emerson Hall encapsulates what it is to be a Gemini. Yes, you have the two different personalities represented in the two characters, but Geminis are also very social people. Who is more social than these two? Try going to any sports game without running into this pair working the crowd, just like any Gemini would.

Reitz Union – Cancer

This may seem weird to some, but the Reitz Union is one of my comfort places on campus. Home to the bookstore (aka the best but most expensive place ever), tons of food options, and quiet places to do your work, the Reitz is where I spend a lot of my time. Cancers, being the most sensitive of the Zodiac signs, exude comfort and safe energy, just like the Reitz does for me.

Heisman Statues – Leo

Leos love letting everyone know that they are the best (as they should), so it only makes sense that they are represented by the three Heisman winner statues right outside of the football stadium. Leos set out to dominate everything they do, which is the mentality that you need to win a Heisman award.

Bull Gator Statue – Virgo

Right by the Heisman statues, we have the Bull Gator Statue. This is arguably one of the most iconic landmarks at UF. Whenever people come by campus, you can almost guarantee that they will take a photo with the Bull Gator. This statue is incredibly detailed, just like how Virgos are incredibly detail-oriented (and iconic).

French Fries – Libra

Libras are all about balance, just like how the French fries sculpture outside of Marston Science Library all depends on how each of the “fries” carefully balances beside one another. They also represent the fun and intellectual sides of a Libra. The fun is represented by its abstract shapes that resemble a tasty snack, while the intellectual side is the deeper look into how all of the pieces are intertwined with one another — and the landmark’s true name of Alachua, a more traditional label for the otherwise known fries.

The Swamp – Scorpio

Scorpios are some of the most passionate individuals that you will ever meet, just like Gator fans in the Swamp. If you want somewhere full of high energy and full of love (for the Gators, anyway), then go hang out with your Scorpio friends, or go to the football stadium on a game day.

Century Tower – Sagittarius

Sagittarius tend to be the most independent out of all the Zodiac signs, which is represented by Century Tower. Standing on its own in the middle of campus, Century Tower is a star that draws people to its height and ringing bells, just like Sagittarius and their outgoing personalities.

Vintage Printing Press – Capricorn

The vintage printing press in the Weimer Hall Atrium represents the hard-working spirit of Capricorns. The printing press worked for years and years to produce many newspapers, just like how Capricorns are determined workaholics who stop at nothing to achieve their goals.

Plaza of the Americas – Aquarius

This air sign is often described as free-spirited and creative, which is exactly the vibes that you will get at the Plaza of the Americas. This is a place where you can go to sit outside and enjoy nature on your own or meet up with a group of people to have a study session. The Plaza is go-with-the-flow, just like Aquarius.

Library West – Pisces

Known as being one of the most creative signs, Pisces are like Library West. As someone who has spent many, many hours at this library, I can confidently say that this is where I’ve had the most of my creative breakthroughs while writing stories or working on assignments. The imaginative trait of Pisces goes along with the vibe of Lib. West very well.

How did I do? Do you agree with my list? If not, take a jab at pairing UF landmarks to signs and see what you can come up with!

Lauren Cooney is a junior at the University of Florida, where she studies journalism with a sports and media specialization and psychology. She is a features writer for Her Campus UFL, and she also volunteers with UF's video production team GatorVision.