Career

Trials & Tribulations of Starting an Organization in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

After I got accepted into UF, I was overwhelmed and excited. Immediately, I started searching for involvement opportunities on campus. While doing this, no organization truly encompassed what my career goals were. Writing and editing were my passions, and throughout high school, I was heavily involved in organizations that would set me on the journalism path. Following my commitment to UF and discovering there was no active yearbook program, I yearned to start one for the university.

Discussions with my high school yearbook teacher turned into brainstorming sessions for the book that had yet to exist. Excitement overcame me as I planned out my ideal theme and cover, along with the other little details of my dream program. I became determined to create memory books for my future university. Although steps for starting a student organization were on the Student Activities and Involvement website, I knew this process would be more tedious because of printing contracts and legalities. Still, nothing could have prepared for what the next 10 months would have in store.

Getting in touch with Herff Jones representatives was the first step in figuring out how my nerdy dreams could be turned into reality. Luckily for me, the representative I spoke to informed me that they had ties to the university’s former yearbook advisor. Yes, UF used to have a yearbook. Knowing this piece of information made me hopeful. I knew yearbooks could be executed at a collegiate level, but knowing that it was previously done at UF fueled my fire even more.

Looking back at my first meeting with the former adviser, I remember feeling overwhelmed. They gave me information and advice I would have never begun to consider without their guidance.

During our meeting, I was informed that the program and yearbooks were called Tower, named after Century Tower. The book had not been published since 2007 but was an intricate part of the university history, dating back to 1910. Learning that the program’s hiatus was prompted by a lack of effort saddened me, but it did not discourage my efforts. My ultimate goal was to bring back Tower Yearbook to UF.

Thinking that student government would be the key to success, I reached out to them before my freshman fall semester began in August. To be frank, my interactions with student government were strenuous and exhaustive. Booking meetings were week-long pursuits, and in the end, they wanted no affiliation with Tower Yearbook. Understanding that the program could backfire was a difficult pill to swallow; a negative outcome was possible. Wrapping my head around this possibility helped me understand the decision made by student government, but this did not deter me or my passions.

Following the first set of tough news, I was told to “simply” reach out to Student Activities and Involvement. After spending four months following every step necessary, I was told that being a registered organization wouldn’t allow us to print a book. We would have to be owned by the university, which made sense but was never expressed to me after nearly half a year of pushing to be housed somewhere.

Despite everything that had happened, a lot has still been accomplished. I have been able to contact a potential Herff Jones representative who had helped me design a professional cover to match the theme. I created a detailed ladder and social media accounts for Tower Yearbook, seeking supporters and finding students who wanted to participate. We have a business manager, photography editor, copy editor, layout editor, Greek life section editor, athletics section editor, and a staff of 15 students taking photos, writing stories and collecting other content to produce a 2020-2021 yearbook for the UF.

Sitting on the hard work that we all put in saddened me. However, it seemed like the only option left was to get in contact with the university’s College of Journalism and Communications. This communication process, like the others, was also drawn out; however, this time, it was worth it.

I began devising plans for Tower in April of 2020. In February of 2021, I finally received the relieving news that the journalism department would house and support my team’s yearbook. The only step left is to find a hands-on advisor to assist in leading the program. After 10 months, Tower has never been closer to becoming an official program.

Throughout this journey, I have been discouraged and disappointed beyond belief. Being a first-year student in this process caused others to question or doubt my intentions. However, fighting for Tower prompted me to realize that anyone could do anything they set their mind to. There are no limits to what we can do, and for me, Tower is my testimony.

Keila is a third-year Journalism student at the University of Florida. She was born and raised in Orlando, Florida. As a true Florida native, Keila is obsessed with all things Disney. She loves reading, writing, film, glitter, the color pink, and the oxford comma (scary, we know). Keila hopes to have a career central to writing and editing.
UF Class of 2021. Journalism & women's studies. Viviana Moreno is a writer and online creative dedicated to exuding warmth and promoting inclusivity. She creates content that fuels truth and curiosity through her contributions to publications that seek to empower and inform primarily college-aged individuals.