Trader Joe’s: What to Pick up and What to Pass

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I overheard someone call going to Trader Joe’s their “favorite thing to do” on the bus the other day. I’m an avid Trader Joe’s fan, but even I thought that was overstating things a bit. Then I realized I was actually on my way to Trader Joe’s; maybe they had a point. Regardless, there’s a method to shopping at the Trader’s. It’s not a one-stop shop by any means, but as a seasoned Trader Joe’s shopper, here are some tips on what to grab and what to pass at everyone’s favorite hipster-market:

HARD PASS: Bread
Anything with the Trader Joe’s name on it has no artificial flavors and preservatives. This is a great thing for our health, but it comes with some problems. Usually, we would buy a bag of bread and it’ll last a couple of weeks, mold free, on the counter. The lack of preservatives in Joe’s breads makes it impossible to keep out. You must refrigerate the bread or it’ll spoil in a few days. Even if it is kept refrigerated, the bread will not last longer than a week. Furthermore, they don’t stock regular, run-of-the-mill sliced white bread. However, you should grab the pastas. All the pasta is cheap and great quality.

GRAB: Snacks                                                                                   
I like to watch my figure as much as the next gal, but Joe’s makes it really hard. Anything with chocolate at Trader Joe’s is 100 percent delicious. I’m not even kidding. From the 1-pound bar of chocolate to the chocolate covered potato chips, it’s all good. The cookies? Amazing. Each and every cookie is special and beautiful; its own little symphony of delicious. Point in case: grab the cookies. They are preservative free and all natural, so they’re kind to your waistline. The potato chip bags even say, “Reduced guilt.” Trader Joe’s cares about how you feel about yourself, so they’ve made it easier to snack.

MIXED BAG: Produce 
There are certain things you can count on Trader’s to do well; for example, onions and potatoes. Trader Joe’s offers these staples individually and at really low prices. A potato is only 73 cents! However, they fail miserably in the banana department. All produce is delivered fresh about three times a day, but somehow the bananas are always neon green. That would be okay if bananas didn’t have a three minute window of edibility. More often than not, they’ll turn brown before you have a chance to eat them. The apples have a similar problem, they come in bruised and past their peak. Nice try Trader Joe’s, stick to what you’re good at.

GRAB: Meats 
Unless you’re planning on entertaining a large party, pick up all the meats you can. The meats are a little pricier than you would find at Publix or Wal-Mart, but the quality is 50 times better. Many of the choices come with their own recipe selections or are pre-seasoned.  There are organic options for those who want a little more nature in their meats. If meat isn’t your thing, you’re in luck! Trader Joe’s stocks a variety of tofu options. As a side note, the deli lunchmeats are pretty great also.

GRAB: Cheese 
Pick up all the cheeses! There are more cheeses than you know what to do with and in huge, affordable quantities, too! Everything is fresh and delicious, and there are organic, unprocessed options available also. 

Trader Joe’s is definitely a good investment for most everyday things. There are some things you may want to stick to the name brand like toothpaste and bread, but everything else is a great way to save money and eat healthy. If you haven’t gone to Trader Joe’s yet, you should definitely try!

Journalism major with a minor in education. Currently a copywriter for Infinite Energy. Twitter handle: @DiadysFig
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.