This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

College is a beautiful, crazy, stressful time. You are meeting new people, figuring out career options, living on your own and trying to be an adult for the first time. And since “technically” you are an adult now, you can do adult things like getting a pet. Having a dog in college can be a fantastic addition to your life. But keep in mind, it is a big responsibility and shouldn’t be taken lightly. However, you cannot beat having a lovable companion to come home to every night. Plus, they are the perfect wingmen. Who wouldn’t stop to say hi to your furry friend? However, not every dog is suited for the hustle and bustle of college. Listed below are seven dog breeds that would be compatible with a typical college lifestyle:

Golden retrievers

One of the most easily recognizable dog breeds, golden retrievers are known for their intelligence, friendly demeanor and playfulness. Goldens love to please their owners, so they are easily trained; a must when potty-training a dog while living with roommates. They do have high energy levels, so daily walks are a necessity. As one of the friendliest dog breeds, they will get along with your roommates and any house guests. Golden retrievers can suffer from separation anxiety, so if you’re seldom home, they might not be the right breed for you. But if you love going outside and meeting new people, a golden retriever could be a lifelong friend.

Shih Tzu

This next breed is much smaller but still just as loveable. As a toy breed, Shih Tzus have moderate energy levels, so they will not need as many or as long walks. They are highly affectionate and are at their happiest when sitting on someone’s lap. Weighing at only 9 to 15 pounds, they are also perfect for any apartment on the smaller side. Shih Tzus are OK being left home alone for periods of time, and they do require regular grooming. They also gain weight quickly as they age, so keep those extra treats to a minimum. Bottom line, if you love to cuddle up at night to a good movie or are worried a medium-sized dog might be too big for your living space, a Shih Tzu might be the perfect addition. 

Boston terrier

Commonly referred to as one of the best dog breeds for first-time owners, Boston terriers are perfect for college students looking to get a dog but who are worried about training and responsibility. A versatile breed, they can adapt well to various living situations, including small apartments and roommates. Boston terriers are energetic and playful but do not require high amounts of exercise. And as a major plus for the lay cleaner, they do not drool or shed. At all. However, Boston terriers are highly social animals, so if they are going to be left alone for long periods of time, they should live in a two-or-more-dog household.

Shiba Inu

The Shiba Inu is a breed of small hunting dogs from Japan, but its popularity with families in America grows every year. They are a little bigger than the Shih Tzu, but with an upper weight limit of 23 pounds, a Shiba Inu is a perfect apartment companion. Shiba Inus are a protective breed, so make sure to socialize them around other dogs and people early. This breed is practically born housebroken, so minimal training is needed. Shibas love to exercise, but they will not be jumping off the walls if you miss a walk or two. 

Labrador retriever 

Chances are you or someone you now grew up with a Labrador retriever. They are one of the most popular breeds in America, perfect for families, hunting trips or going out on a boat. But they can also be the ideal dog for the college lifestyle. As a bigger dog, labs will require more exercise than smaller dogs, but they will not need as much exercise as a highly active breed such as the Australian shepard. They are highly sociable, good-tempered and relatively easy to train. Though they are deemed as the “Ultimate Family Dog,” Labrador retrievers do just fine with solo owners but are always down to meet new people. These intelligent, easy-going dogs will fit right into almost any lifestyle. 

Cavalier King Charles spaniel

Don’t let the “King” in their name fool you; the Cavalier King Charles spaniel is a gentle and affectionate toy dog breed that will gladly run around in the park or lounge around in bed all day. They can weigh between 13 to 18 pounds, and they come in a wide variety of colors and markings. Note that a Cavalier’s coat does require some grooming, and they do shed. Arguably one of the cutest breeds on this list, a Cavalier King Charles spaniel will draw in all the onlookers with their big eyes and squished nose, a perfect pet for anyone who wants a dog a little on the pretty side.

Dachshund 

Dubbed the “Weiner Dog” around the country, the dachshund is easy to pick out of the crowd with its short legs and elonged torso. Dachshunds come with a bold personality and a watchdog demeanor, and they are highly devoted to their owners. Don’t let their size fool you; they still require at least two walks a day but will not participate in strenuous running or swimming. They are always eager for attention but must be trained with patience. A dachshund can be stubborn at times, but who isn’t? A great pet for anyone who wants a smaller but protective dog, dachshunds would make a great addition to university life. 

Make sure to do your own extensive research about the type of dog you want before going out and getting one. A dog entirely relies on you for all of its needs, and that responsibility should not be taken lightly. A dog will keep you active, help you destress and will love you unconditionally. If you decide to get a dog in college, it will most likely change your life for the better.

Sophia is a Psychology and Criminology major at the Unversity of Florida. She loves to read, go on hikes, eat with friends and meet new people. Sophia is excited to be writing for Her Campus this year and cannot wait to share her passion and interests with the community!