The Top 9 Restaurants Within Walking Distance from UF’s Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Sometimes college students get sick and tired of eating in dining halls. It can be hard to find good quality food at an affordable price as a busy college student. According to Restaurant Hospitality, the top three reasons why students choose to have meals off-campus are the taste of the food, convenient location and a desire for a particular type of cuisine. This list of restaurants will help all UF students looking for affordable dining within walking distance from campus.

1. Raising Cane’s

This new addition to University Avenue by UF Plaza is incredibly popular among students with the line regularly going out of the door. The fast-food chicken chain restaurant serves delicious buttery toast and salty crinkle-cut fries with its juicy, nicely breaded white meat chicken tenders. You can’t forget its signature tangy, savory sauce. This food spot is popular for a reason: the food is tasty, the menu is simple, the location is ideal, the prices aren’t too high and the service is speedy. The restaurant has disco balls, UF-themed decor and fun music, which makes the atmosphere so desirable. There are so many good things about this new chain, and all UF students should try it out!

2. Chick-fil-A

Another fast-food chicken chain restaurant is Chick-fil-A. Located underneath The Standard and across the street from the business school, Chick-fil-A is in a prime location. The service is unbeatable, making it the perfect place to go in between classes or when in a rush. While mainly serving chicken, the menu is diverse and can satisfy any fast-food lover’s palette. It’s hard to deny a craving for Chick-fil-A.

3. Bento

Bento is my go-to Asian restaurant near campus. They offer sushi, poké bowls, traditional Asian cuisine and boba teas. Bento is also underneath The Standard, making it very easy for students to walk there after a long day of classes or in the middle of the day. Students can take their meals to-go or can sit down.

4. Piesanos

If you are in the mood for a sit-down Italian meal, Piesanos is the place for you. Piesanos is on University Avenue by the Hampton Inn. Pizzas, salads, sandwiches, calzones, a variety of pasta dishes, typical entrees and desserts are all served. It is on the pricier side though, and the dining experience can take more time because it is a real restaurant. Regardless, I am obsessed with its bread rolls, and everything I have eaten from Piesanos has been delicious.

5. Tijuana Flats

Tijuana Flats is another fast-food chain restaurant that serves Tex-Mex meals. Tijuana Flats is located on the first floor of UF Plaza. This establishment is usually more popular during later hours. I love its tacos, quesadillas and burritos. The food is cooked quickly, and the ingredients are fresh.

6. El Indio

El Indio is the farthest restaurant on this list from campus, but it is worth the few extra steps. It is located just beyond the Hub on 3rd Avenue, making it a five-minute walk from the business school. This restaurant is sit-down and has a drive-thru. El Indio makes breakfast, lunch and dinner. The prices are reasonable, the service is efficient and the workers are friendly. I enjoy having the ability to eat outside, especially when it gets a little chillier in the winter. El Indio serves more traditional Mexican food than Tijuana Flats and it is full of flavor. There is a reason why people speak so highly of this establishment.

7. Relish

Relish is a hamburger joint that has multiple locations throughout Gainesville. The most convenient location for UF students is in Midtown Plaza on the first floor near Insomnia Cookies. Relish gives the customer the option to fully customize their burger with many ingredients, which I love. Its sweet potato fries are amazing.

8. SweetBerries

SweetBerries is the only restaurant on this list that is technically located on UF’s campus. It is located on the first floor of Newell Hall, across from the Hub. SweetBerries is incredibly popular in Gainesville. I would describe SweetBerries as a café with frozen custard. It’s the perfect spot to get a breakfast sandwich or bagel, smoothie, coffee, sandwich or wrap, salad, soup and a sweet treat. This unique combination makes the restaurant stand out. Breakfast and lunch are served Monday through Friday.

9. Pokébowl Station

Pokébowl Station is open for lunch and dinner. It’s located on University Avenue, slightly past Midtown. The options are limitless and the ingredients are impeccable. You can customize your own bowl or choose a bowl from the menu.

Finding quick, tasty meals around campus can be a challenge because there are a lot of options. Luckily, there are many options for students who no longer want to eat a meal in the dining hall or are looking for a break from cooking. Hopefully, this list can help you come to a quick decision when eating a meal around UF’s campus.

Hey everyone! I am Neenah Brown, a second-year English major at the University of Florida. I am so excited to be able to pursue my passion for journalism on the Her Campus UFL team! In my free time, I like to work out, play tennis, shop, spend time with friends, go to the beach and eat at Chick-Fil-A. My writing is usually about shopping and clothing trends and college life as a Gator. After graduation, I plan on attending law school.