The Target Experience: Decorating in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

This week I thought I would explore a different section of Target; rather than clothes and accessories, I decided to look at the Home Décor section. As soon as I found out I was going to sign an apartment lease for next year, I (of course) made a Pinterest board to start pinning cute and creative décor for my new residence. When thinking about what I will need and what I would like to have in my apartment next year, I knew Target would have a great selection of what I was looking for.

The apartment I have chosen comes furnished with very simple (I won’t say boring…) furniture, so my main goal is for my roommates and I to make it cute and different, and most of all, to make it our own and not a “furnished apartment.” My first order of business is to liven up the living area. A great way to do this is using anything with interesting texture! This can be done with anything from pillows, to blankets, or area rugs, all of which you can find at Target!

Round Ruffle “Decorative Pillow”- $19.99

Something like this pillow is perfect to add some interest to any comfortable spot in your apartment especially somewhere like the living room couch or a comfy reading chair. Don’t be afraid to pair it with another, more understated, textured pillow like the rectangular rose-colored pillow shown below; the different shapes will definitely add some visual interest when put together, too. These pillows could also be broken up with non-textured pillows of the same color family or neutrals.

Target Home “Decorative Pillow”- $9.98

Another way to liven up a space, in addition to texture is to introduce fun and exciting patterns. This will work for the space I have in mind because all the furniture is neutral. So when you’re choosing a pattern, make sure the colors match or at least are in the same color palette as the neutrals you have. Don’t get a pattern with navy if your neutral-colored furniture is black.

Boho Boutique Aria Window Panel in “Wasabi” $24.99-$29.99- depending on which size you select!

A great way to incorporate patterns in a home or apartment is with decorative window treatments. There are all sorts of patterned curtains available at Target (mostly online). I have found many with bold patterns but also ones with more subtle patterns if you aren’t quite ready for super-bold accents in your home. Here is a great example of subtly patterned curtains that would add interest to bare walls or drab colored furniture!

Room Essentials Flat Top Frame 4-pack $23.96
Lastly, there is nothing that can make a space more personal than pictures of fun memories hanging on the wall! Target offers a lot of frame styles ranging from funky to traditional. There are many options for people with all styles. If there is already a lot going on in your apartment opt for sleeker and plainer frames, but if you’d like to dress up your walls, you can snag some pretty funky frames! Here is another option:

Chunky and Ornate Baroque Picture Frame $9.99

I hope these tips have helped! Happy decorating, everyone!

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.