Streaming Services’ Best Binge-Worthy Quarantine Content

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

To be candid, I’d be lying if I said that all this newfound free time is dedicated to productivity and DIY projects.

There are many days I find myself just wanting to dive into a new television series or rom-com. 

Back at my apartment in Gainesville, I was never at a loss when it came to the decision-making process.

Divided amongst four roommates, there was no shortage of streaming services and we all brought a different one to the table.

This was super cost effective and gave us endless options. 

Now that I’m back home, however, I realized it’s not fiscally responsible for me to pay for more than two.

This led me to develop a thorough pro con list of five popular services.

After some digging, I found that they all have some hidden gems, so if you’re looking for something new to watch that isn’t The Office, or just trying to weigh your options, I’m here to help. 

Netflix 

The tried and true, the OG. From Stranger Things to That ‘70s Show, this platform has some undeniable favorites. Here’s some others that I don’t hear people talk about enough:

Schitt’s Creek is such a feel-good show. My family adores the entire cast and the dry humor. Written by Dan Levy and his father Eugene Levy, this Canadian comedy is about a campy, affluent family that loses everything and has to move to the unruly town that they had purchased as a joke once upon a time. While it is a witty series, it carries a lot of sentiment towards the end. 

Next up is Frances Ha. As my Greta Gerwig obsession continues, I watched this amazing film that she starred in and co-wrote. This is the story of a very messy young woman trying to make it in New York City as a dancer. As a college student who is getting increasingly more scared of what lies ahead, this movie will make you feel simultaneously uneasy and comforted.  

Obvious Child is also fantastic! Starring Jenny Slate, this dark romantic comedy tackles some uncomfortable topics while managing to maintain a charming atmosphere. 

However, while Netflix may have dominated the streaming industry years ago, other streaming services have significantly stepped up their game. 

Disney Plus 

Although it’s a newcomer to the scene, Disney Plus is full of all your childhood favorites like Wizards of Waverly Place and “The Parent Trap.” 

One thing I enjoyed watching here is The World According to Jeff Goldblum.

This Disney Plus original looks at everyday common objects and delves into their creation and history.

If you’re looking to improve your trivia in a refreshing way, this is definitely the series.

Admittedly, I may be biased due to a soft spot for Goldblum, so I need someone to give me a second opinion. 

Another on my list is “10 Things I Hate About You.”

While it’s not underrated by any means, I was surprised to find it on this platform.

This angsty love story starring Julia Stiles and the late Heath Ledger is one of the best ‘90s flicks out there, in my opinion.

With a flawless soundtrack featuring “Letters to Cleo,” this is a hard one to live without. 

Amazon Prime

This is the unspoken hero in my opinion.

Full of nail-biting shows such as Big Little Lies and classic collections such as Sex and The City, this may be my personal favorite streaming service. 

Possibly my favorite television series to date, Fleabag needs to be the next thing you watch.

This tragic comedy made me sob and laugh hysterically, even when I was completely by myself.

Its starring actress Phoebe Waller Bridges is beyond talented.

This raunchy and touching series that explores a mistake-ridden life is like a warm blanket and a slap in the face.  

Another suggestion is Moonstruck.

Leaning towards cheesy, this loud and chaotic love story is full of one-liners that you will carry in your back pocket forever.

Cher is radiant in this Italian American family, and if you want to simply smile, this will do the trick. 

Hulu 

Hulu is champion when it comes to television.

With consistent weekly updates of Love Island and The Bachelor, this was in frequent use at my apartment.

However, now that these shows aren’t currently on the air, I needed to see what else they had to offer. 

High Fidelity starring Zoë Kravitz is something I recently just started, but I’m completely hooked.

As a record-store owner, the protagonist uses music as a way to explore her past relationships and heartbreaks.

The whole aesthetic will make you want to get out all your vinyl and reminisce. (Shout out to my editor who actually recommended this to me!)

Sorry to Bother You is my next recommendation.

I’m not going to give too much away, because my friend made me go into this movie completely blind and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Prepare to be disturbed by this satirical and colorful project starring Lakeith Stanfield. 

HBO Max

Lastly, this streaming service hasn’t quite hit the market just yet, but when it does in May 2020, I predict it’ll be big. I talked all about its Gossip Girl reboot in my last article, so be sure to check it out. 

(Tip: If you were mourning the loss of Friends from Netflix, it’ll actually be on HBO Max now.) 

Overall, all the streaming platforms bring something different to the table.

Taste is subjective, but I hope these suggestions help you decide which services make the cut. Happy social distancing!

Madeline is a second-year Journalism major at the University of Florida. She loves rainy days, trips that revitalize your soul, and speaking up for what she believes in. She strives to use her voice as a catalyst for conversations about the female college experience and equality for all. See more of her life on Instagram: @maduhlinemurphy & more of her work at: www.madelinenmurphy.com