This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Remember that iconic 2007 series that made us all wish we were wealthy kids living in the big city? Well, it’s getting a reboot. 

This project has supposedly been in the works for quite some time but is just now getting media coverage as it becomes more of a reality. 

The reboot is being written by Joshua Safran, who was an executive producer for the original CW instant classic.

The show was sent “straight to series,” meaning they got the go-ahead for 10-hour long episodes right off the bat.

The show will be available to watch on a streaming service that hasn’t hit the scene, just yet. 

HBO Max is expected to go live in May 2020. So, although there is no confirmed release date for Gossip Girl 2.0, audiences can expect to dive back into the Manhattan fantasy very soon. 

I know what we’re all thinking: didn’t they already reveal Gossip Girl? (No spoilers here, but if you haven’t watched it yet, now’s the time.)

What could this rebooted series possibly be about if it doesn’t focus on the adult lives of our beloved Serena and Blair?

Well, Schwartz has managed to put a modern twist on the drama. 

In an exclusive interview with E! News, Schwartz explained that him and the other producers felt that, “…a version that was just our cast grown up…it didn’t really feel like a group of adults who were being controlled by Gossip Girl would make a lot of sense, so it felt like there was something really interesting about this idea that we are all Gossip Girl now, in our own way, that we are all purveyors of our own social media surveillance state, and how that’s evolved, and how that has morphed and mutated and telling that story through a new generation of upper east side high school kids felt like the right time.” 

I think this rejuvenates the series and appeals to a new youthful audience in a surprisingly creative way.

Too often with recreations of past classics, the urge to mimic the nostalgia makes the attempt fall flat.

With all the new developments that have shaped the next batch of teens, the possibilities are endless.

After all, the OG Upper East Siders didn’t have nearly as much exposure to social media as we do today.

The harsh realities of the internet give every individual a sense of power that could take this television reboot in a really interesting direction. 

As far as casting goes, all the original members have been offered a role if they ever want it.

Unfortunately, many of the Gossip Girl veterans have been very vague about their chances of returning.

As long as the offer still stands on the table however, there may be a Nate or Dan cameo in the future. 

This means an entire cast of newcomers. 

A post shared by Gossip Girl (@gossipgirl) on

Some names to expect are Whitney Peak, Eli Brown, Johnathan Fernandez, Jason Gotay, Adam Chanler-Berat, Tavi Gevinson, Zion Moreno and Thomas Doherty.

There’s not a whole lot of information about who they’ll be portraying but confirmed as a lead is Emily Alyn Lind. 

Oh, and Kristen Bell is coming back as the original narrator for the entire series. Get hype. 

XOXO, Gossip Girl. 

Madeline is a second-year Journalism major at the University of Florida. She loves rainy days, trips that revitalize your soul, and speaking up for what she believes in. She strives to use her voice as a catalyst for conversations about the female college experience and equality for all. See more of her life on Instagram: @maduhlinemurphy & more of her work at: www.madelinenmurphy.com