Spring Break Destinations in Florida, Part 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Last week, we brought you some great Spring break destinations to check out if you’re planning on staying in Florida. With the break right around the corner, it’s time to find something to do for that glorious week off school. If you aren’t heading on a fabulous cruise like everyone else, haven’t made any plans, are low on cash or simply want to get out of Gainesville, here are three more affordable vacation spots you can visit without leaving the state or breaking the bank this year.

1. Ginnie SpringsThis hot spot is often overlooked. Sure it’s nearby, and a locale that usually everyone visits at least once, but why go once when you can go two, three or four times? General admission for adults is $12, making a trip easy and affordable for a tight college budget. If you’re interested in staying a little longer though, camping is a great idea if you love the outdoors. Prices for camping out at the springs is $20.40 per night per person. Not only is it a great way to spend Spring Break, but it’s also a fun way to hang out with friends.

2. Zip liningDo something you’ve never done before and take a trip to The Canyons Zip Line and Canopy Tours in Ocala, Florida. While the zipline and canopy tour offered are $96 per person, they do offer a cheaper “Super Zip” experience that sends you flying through the air on a zipline. Laying face down and head first in a harness, you’ll fly in the air up to 50 miles per hour past lakes, cliffs and treetops. For just $30, this experience is for those who are not afraid of heights or speed. Don’t forget to bring protective gloves!

3. Cape CanaveralThere’s more to Cape Canaveral than cruise ships. If you’re not looking to visit the Caribbean or the Bahamas this Spring Break but still want to travel, then pack your bags (albeit, a small fanny pack) and head to the Kennedy Space Center or the Canaveral National Seashore. While you may not be looking for an educational experience during your break, the Kennedy Space Center is similar to a mini Disney World, but with an emphasis on science and technology. Not only will you see pieces from the Apollo missions, but an IMAX theatre also allows you to see the manpower behind some of the world’s greatest space missions. The Canaveral National Seashore is also a great place to spend outdoors, with more than 1,000 plant and 310 bird species. It’s also got 24 miles of beaches, the longest stretch of undeveloped land on the east coast of Florida.

Enjoy your Spring Break and don’t stress about the funds needed to enjoy it. Affordable options are available to you if you know how and where to find them. Whether it’s swimming in a crystal clear beach with a bunch of college cuties or experiencing new things, make it a goal to have fun and relax. While saving money should be a goal, it’s also not the most important thing. Experience life while you’re still young, and don’t sweat the small stuff!

Photo credit: www.blog.placesaroundflorida.com

Alexia Fernandez is a senior at the University of Florida. A journalism major, she has been interested in films, books and pop culture since she can remember. An avid film buff, she hopes to one day write screenplays, make films and tell stories through as many mediums as possible.