nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Should You Consider the Disney College Program?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Going to Disney World is every kid’s dream –– the magic these parks and resorts offer is endless and the joy you get out of a trip to Disney is timeless. Whether you’re going for the first time or the 100th time, Disney never loses its sense of charm and never-ending magic. The Disney College Program (DCP) offers this magic in the form of employment to college students. You live, work, play and basically breathe Disney, and for many people, it’s an opportunity of a lifetime.

Sabrina Wolfe, a current UF junior and a 2018 DCP Cast Member, answered some of our questions about what it’s like to work at the happiest place on Earth.

Her Campus UFL (HC UFL): Why did you apply to the DCP?

Sabrina Wolfe: “I applied to the DCP because it’s been a goal of mine to work at Disney and it’s the kind of opportunity that you don’t pass up.”

HC UFL: What kind of questions did they ask you on the application?

Sabrina: “For the original written application, they ask the typical questions you would expect for any job application –– schooling, work experience, special skills, etc. Later in the interview process, they ask more specific questions about your experiences and abilities and how working for Disney would impact your career.”

HC UFL: What are the different kinds of jobs you can have as a student in DCP?

Sabrina: “Some of the main roles that people get in the DCP are QSFB (Quick Service Food and Beverage), merchandise, attractions and custodial. But there are many more options on the application including bellhop, seater, watercraft, children’s activities, housekeeping and vacation planner.”

HC UFL: Do you/can you take classes while in the program?

Sabrina: “Disney offers several different options for classes while on the program. They do offer some collegiate courses for students whose colleges require them for credit. Also, they offer a lottery enrollment for the ‘exploration seminar series’ which are once weekly seminars on topics like hospitality, Disney heritage or animal sciences. While these don’t provide school credit, many [cast members] take them for fun. Personally, I was enrolled in the Hospitality and Guest Services seminar, but I dropped the class because I lost interest, and I needed more freedom to switch around my work shifts. For those students who take online classes during their program, Disney gives the option of a weekly scheduled ‘class time’ so that [cast members] don’t have to worry as much about trying to do classwork around their work schedules.”

HC UFL: How many hours do you work a week? How much do you get paid?

Sabrina: “Because I was signed up for a class, my hours were capped at 45 per week. Also, I work in the Animal Kingdom, so I never have horrible hours. I currently average right around 40 per week. However, my roommate works in the Magic Kingdom and she regularly works over 50 hours a week. [Cast members] make about $10 per hour and housing costs come out of our paycheck each week. I’ve made between $200-250 per week but my roommate usually makes $250 plus.”

HC UFL: Where do you live? Do you like it?

Sabrina: “Disney provides [cast members[ with four choices of apartment complexes: Vista Way, Chatham Square, The Commons and Patterson Court. I live in Patterson Court (aka Catterson because of the stray kitties around the property), which is the newest of the complexes. Although it wasn’t my first choice, I couldn’t be happier with where I ended up. My building is right next to the pool and laundry room, and the apartment itself is well kept. Also, being greeted by the building’s five cats after a day at work is a bonus.”

HC UFL: Is working at Disney as magical as it seems?

“I’ve heard stories from people supporting both sides of this question. Personally, I love my work location, and it’s probably about as magical as merchandise could ever be. I think it depends a lot on how much you put into it. As a Cast Member, you’re responsible for making the magic, so you can’t just expect it to come with the job.”

HC UFL: Is it hard to make new friends at the Disney College Program?

Sabrina: “I don’t think it’s hard to make friends here. [Cast members] are everywhere you look and since everyone here is in pretty much the same boat, it’s pretty easy to strike up new friendships. But the most important friendships to make on your DCP are with your roommates and coworkers because that’s who you spend all your time with.”

HC UFL: What’s your favorite and least favorite part of DCP?

Sabrina: “It’s impossibly difficult to put into words what my favorite part of the DCP is, but let me put it this way: last semester I was drowning in biochemistry. This semester, I earn money by making magic for guests and then spend my free time eating in fantastic restaurants, riding my favorite rides and watching Happily Ever After as if it’s my bedtime ritual. My only worry in the world right now is finding a hotel for the Disneyland trip I just planned with my roommates.

And my least favorite part? Over a month has already gone by and I’m just dreading the day my program ends and I have to say goodbye to the magic and all the incredible people I’ve met here.”

HC UFL: How often do you go to the parks when you aren’t working?

Sabrina: “I go to at least one park nearly every day that I have no shifts. But I often drop in for a ride or a show before or after my shifts too. I’d say I probably go to the parks at least three or four days each week.”

HC UFL: What advice would you give to someone thinking about applying?

Sabrina: “My advice would be to apply even if you’re not 100% sure about it, and keep applying even if you don’t get in right away! I think I applied half-heartedly about three times before I decided to fully go for it and got accepted. This program is so worth it.”

For more information on the Disney College Program and how to apply, check out their website.