Savory Scenes: An Unexpected Combination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Hello, collegiettes! This week we’re traveling to the whimsical and troublesome land of Middle-Earth. That’s right; this week’s feature film is The Hobbit, which is now available on DVD and Blu-Ray. The movie covers the first third of the novel and introduces Bilbo Baggins, who is drafted to help defeat the dragon Smaug who has taken over the dwarves’ homeland.

For the recipes accompanying this wonderful film, the theme is a mix of modern British gastropub fare and Victorian delights, which the novel incorporates. Lamb burgers have recently become a personal favorite. The balsamic salad and mint really compliment the lamb that is flavorful but not overwhelming. Paired with some chips and pickles, it’s the perfect entrée. Seed-Cake is a sweet Victorian classic dessert that’s nice and light for the warmer seasons. Serve it with tea or coffee, and it is guaranteed to bring all the dwarves to the yard!

Lamb Burgers 
Ingredients

• 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
  • 2 tsp. paprika
  • 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • 3 tbsp. olive oil, divided
  • 1 1/3 lbs. ground lamb
  • 4 hamburger buns
  • 1 ½ cups baby spinach leaves
  • 1 1/3 cups crumbled feta cheese
  • 4 1/4-inch-thick red onion slices
  • 1 ½ tsp. balsamic vinegar

Directions:

1. In a bowl, toss spinach, feta, onion, balsamic vinegar, and 1 ½ tablespoons of oil together. Refrigerate. 
  2. Place ground lamb into medium bowl and mix in mint, paprika, cinnamon, and salt. Shape into 4 patties. Cook in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for 4 minutes on each side (for medium cooked burgers).  
  3. Serve with salad on top of burgers. Enjoy!

Notes: 

• Refrigeration is important so that the cheese doesn’t get mushy before you put it on your burger (ew!).

Seed-Cake 
Ingredients

• 1 stick of butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 4 large eggs (beaten)
  • 3 cups self-rising flour (sifted)
  • 4-6 tbsp. milk (or half & half)
  • 3 tbsp. of natural brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp. caraway seeds
  • ¼ cup of brandy
  • ½ tsp .of ground mace
  • ½ tsp. of ground nutmeg

Directions:

1. Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Grease cake pan. 
  2. In a small bowl, beat eggs in a small bowl with a whisk. In another medium bowl mix butter and sugar together until the mixture until consistent, then gradually whisk in the beaten eggs a little at a time. Add caraway seeds, mace, and nutmeg. Lightly fold in the flour. Stir in brandy. 
  3. Add just enough milk to loosen the mixture (neither wet nor dry, but will drop off a spoon when tipped). Pour into cake pan and sprinkle brown sugar over the top. 
  4. Bake 40 to 50 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool.

Notes:

• Cake will keep for several days. 
  • For the pan, a round cake tin (18cm) is ideal, but an 8×8 pan would work just as well.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Greek-Lamb-Burgers-with-Spinach-and-Red-Onion-Salad-241609#ixzz2OIHIg2iV

http://recipewise.co.uk/seed-cake-1861-recipe

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.