Savory Scenes: Pride and Prejudice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Good ‘morrow, collegiettes! As this will be my last post on Her Campus, I just wanted to start by saying that writing for you all has been such an enjoyable adventure and that I have loved working with the amazing ladies of Her Campus UFL. Thank you for reading, and I wish you all the best! Now back to the goodies…

Since hell week has descended upon us, I figured we all need a way to find some rest and relaxation. I thought it would be fun to channel our younger selves and do a tea party theme. I’ve always been fascinated with the Victorian Era (I adore all things Austen) and therefore love period dramas. Having said that, this week’s flick is, unsurprisingly, the 2005 adaption of Pride and Prejudice. Personally, I think Matthew Macfadyen is a wonderfully dreamy Mr. Darcy, and I’m sure you’ll fall in love with him as well!

This week’s recipes are centered around the traditional Victorian tea time. I chose lemon as the main ingredient because it’s lighter and perfect for the summer season. Enjoy these tasty treats with a “cuppa” of your favorite tea and close friends to have a tea party that would make even the Mad Hatter jealous!

Quintessential Cucumber Sandwiches

Ingredients:

• 6 slices of white bread, crust cut off
  • 4 oz.  cream cheese
  • 1/3 large English seedless cucumber (about 4 inches), thinly sliced
  • 2 tbsp. chopped dill
  • Zest and juice of 1 lemon
  • Salt and pepper

Directions: 

1. In small bowl, combine the cream cheese, dill, lemon zest, and juice. Season with salt and pepper. 
  2. Lay bread slices on work surface and distribute the cream cheese mixture evenly among each slice, spreading into a thin layer. Arrange the cucumber slices in rows on 3 slices of the bread. 
  3. Top with the remaining bread slices. Cut into triangles so there are 4 pieces from each sandwich. Serve immediately.

Lovely Lemon Bars

Ingredients:

For the crust

• 1 stick butter
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • 1 cup flour
  • Pinch of salt

For the filling

• 3 large eggs
  • 1 ½ cups sugar
  • 1 tbsp. lemon zest
  • ½ cup lemon juice
  • ½ cup flour
  • Confectioner’s sugar (for dusting)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. (Crust) In a small bowl, mix butter and sugar until creamy; add flour and salt. Gather the dough and shape into a ball. Flatten the dough with floured hands and press it into an 8×8 baking sheet or pan, building up an edge on all sides. Chill for 10 minutes.
  3. Bake the crust for 7 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Let cool and leave the oven on.
  4. (Filling) Whisk the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour in another bowl. Pour over the crust and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the filling is set. Cool completely to room temperature.
  5. Cut into squares and dust with confectioners’ sugar.

Classic English Scones

Ingredients:

• ¼ tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 5 tbsp. butter
  • 3 tbsp. sugar
  • ¾ cup milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • Dash of lemon dish (about 1/8 tsp.)
  • 1 egg, beaten

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, and baking powder. Add butter, sifting with your finger until the mix looks like fine crumbs. Stir in sugar.
  3. Heat milk in microwave for 30 seconds. Add vanilla and lemon juice and set aside. Put baking sheet in oven.
  4. Make a well in the dry mix, then add liquid mix and combine quickly (will be wet at first). Scatter flour on work surface and place dough on counter. Dust the dough and your hands with more flour, then fold the dough over 2-3 times until it is smoother. Shape into a round (like a hamburger) about an inch and half.
  5. Dip a 2-inch round cutter into some flour. Plunge into the dough and repeat to get 4 scones. Press what is left of dough and reshape to cut out more.
  6. Brush tops with egg wash and place on hot baking tray. Bake for 10 minutes until golden on top.  
  7. Enjoy with some butter and jam or preserves. (Personally, I love apple butter on mine—it tastes like apple pie filling!)

Note: The lemon juice in the milk is the perfect substitute for buttermilk, as it adds that slightly sour kick to it.

Sources:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/cucumber-and-lemony-dill-cream-cheese-tea-sandwiches-recipe/index.html 
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/lemon-bars-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback 
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4622/

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.