samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Sara Kaner gets excited for Teach for America

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Sara Kaner remembers lying in her bed last November. It was the first of the month, and an unread email lit up in her inbox.

The sender? Teach for America. The subject line? “Congratulations!”

“That’s really all I had to read,” she said.

Later this year, 21-year-old Kaner will start her career in the 2013 Teach for America corps teaching special education in San Antonio, Texas.

Currently, Kaner works as an intern and recruiter for Teach for America at UF, but her knowledge of the program didn’t guarantee her acceptance.

When that email confirmed her as a member of the corps, she was overwhelmed.

“The first person I called was my mom because she’s my rock, my role model, my best friend,” Kaner said. “As soon as she answered the phone, all I could say was ‘I got in!’ before I started bawling.”

Though Teach for America will take her on a journey for the next two years, Kaner said she got her start at the University of Florida.

“My time at UF has made me the person I am today,” she said.

Aside from her internship, Kaner was a 2010 Preview Staffer and a 2011 Preview Coordinator. She’s taught three sections of First-Year Florida and is a member of Campus Diplomats, the official ambassadors to the Dean of Students Office.

Kaner is also a member of Alpha Phi Omega, a co-ed service fraternity and has served on the executive board for Project Makeover for two years.

“I wouldn’t be the person that I am today had I not gotten involved on campus,” she said. “I wouldn’t have met any of my friends, experienced all of my amazing experiences and grown into the woman that I am today.”

As graduation approaches, Kaner said her time at UF has shaped and molded her career goals. Though the public relations senior previously planned on working in sports marketing or at a non-profit, she’s decided to pursue a PhD in higher education.

She loves working with students and one day hopes to serve as a Dean of Students at a large public university.

In the meantime, she offered advice for young women starting out on campus this summer.

“Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there,” she said. “Don’t be afraid to fail, and most importantly, don’t ever second-guess yourself.”

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.