Style

Return of Rainesville: Jacket Inspiration for Any Style This Fall Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

#Rainesville is real and whether it’s your freshman or senior year, a go-to rain jacket is a must-have for UF students.

Although rainfall rates may decrease as fall begins, Gainesville received about three inches of rain last September and about 15 inches of rain in September 2017. Let’s not even talk about the fact that hurricane season doesn’t end until November. This means one thing: You need some rain jacket inspo ASAP.

Take a look at these boundary-pushing jackets that go far beyond classic, solid-colored Columbia and The North Face styles.

This rain jacket is extraterrestrial. An iridescent beauty like this goes far beyond a mere protective layer. Modern, funky, fun — the list of adjectives goes on.

Stay classy with a sleek black rain jacket. It’s easy to pair with practically anything and would go beautifully with that bold purple lipstick you’ve been meaning to wear. Pro-tip: always double-check that a jacket is, in fact, waterproof, and it doesn’t just appear to be waterproof before purchasing it. Leather, faux-leather and synthetic material jackets may look waterproof like this one but may still leave you drenched.

If you need a guarantee that the rain jacket you snag during your last-minute dash back to your dorm won’t ruin your aesthetic, then a clear masterpiece such as this is perfect for you. Talk about chic! This jacket style’s origins trace back to haute couture and the runway.

Sportier, lightweight jackets are great options, too. Current UF student and Her Campus UFL writer Lauren Rousseau showed off this rain jacket over the weekend. The spirited color combo and geometric pattern make this rain jacket a hit on both drizzly game days and wet Monday mornings.

Look no further than fashion icon Selena Gomez for another rain jacket muse. She rocked a bright fuchsia raincoat in 2017. Follow Selena’s style and pair your brightly-colored rain jacket with your favorite chunky white sneakers for an up-to-the-minute look.

With so many trendy rain jacket options, you’ll be looking forward to gray skies and rain drops this fall!

Carson Leigh Olson is a sophomore at the University of Florida currently studying political science and French (and loving every minute of it). A strong believer in messy desks and chai tea lattes, Carson Leigh can be found at https://carsonleigholson.wixsite.com/carsonleigholson.