This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Have you ever watched a movie from the ’90s (which you’re definitely still in denial about being 30 years ago) and cringed at what one of the actors said? Can you remember why you cringed? Did they say something homophobic? Misogynistic?

What about a movie from the mid-2000s?

The fact we feel discomfort looking back at treasured movies says a lot about the type of attitudes we hold today as opposed to “back then,” which may feel a lot further away from us now than ever before.

While there’s still much work to be done, there has been a colossal change in the way we think and feel about things as a society.

The utilization of social media, for example, has given a platform to many who needed it, and as a result, we have a much more educated and tolerant population than even 10 years or so ago.

This, coupled with the practice of holding people in positions of power or wealth accountable (deemed affectionately as “cancel culture”), has led to a unique time in our history. Politicians, celebrities and other influential figures now act more in line with the values we try to promote online, like practicing tolerance.

But is any of it real?

It’s important to note we are allowed to look up to certain politicians and celebrities, but taking what they do with a grain of salt is merely just being mindful of the fact that at the end of the day, they have a public image to maintain.

While sometimes these instances of pandering can be harmless, some are just plain hard to look at.

And, can it be said that pandering is truly harmless? Well, it depends on your definition of progress.

If a politician advocates for the causes you as an individual believe in, that is a victory. But if the way they demonstrate their support for it seems a bit tacky and in-your-face, you might be right in feeling uneasy about their true intentions — especially if this cause in particular doesn’t align with their political history.

That’s why Bernie Sanders is such a prominent and beloved figure in the community of Gen Z and millennials. As the two generations who have been working to change the status quo, there’s an immense overlap between Sanders’ political history and what we strive for today. There’s transparency in his character, which can be hard to find in the world of politicians.

However, again, progress depends on your definition.

If deep down you know a representative is only in support of a cause because it’s better for their image, is it a win? Will they even follow through with their promises about what they’ll do for the cause? Is it only to appease the masses?

Does that matter if we got the results we wanted?

These are all questions to consider as we get to a place where we can hold our representatives accountable, and we begin shaping our future. Personally, I’d like to see politicians that assure me we’re on the same page and that their mission is genuine.

It is not asking too much for your representatives to hold the same values as you both inside and outside their offices.

Alexis is a fourth-year journalism major with a minor in women's studies. Her ideal career would be one that incorporates her love for writing and her passion for social activism. For fun, she likes to read crime and romance novels, explore recommended podcasts, and binge watch New Girl. When she isn't curled up with a book or Netflix, she can usually be found enjoying the nature trails of Gainesville.
UF Class of 2021. Journalism & women's studies. Viviana Moreno is a writer and online creative dedicated to exuding warmth and promoting inclusivity. She creates content that fuels truth and curiosity through her contributions to publications that seek to empower and inform primarily college-aged individuals.