Opinion: College Students Should Think Twice Before Getting A Dog

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

If you’re new to a city and desperate for companionship, adopting a dog may seem like the perfect solution; they need a home, and you need a friend. But unless you are always home and have a light schedule for school or work, I think people should refrain from adopting.

The first thing you must understand before even considering to adopt is that a dog is not an accessory. It is not a picture prop. It is not just a cure for loneliness. Think about your friend seeking a relationship for comfort without actually considering the factors of a relationship, then think about why you want a dog.

Dogs are like first-time boyfriends (and not in a great way)

Odds are, you’ve never had the full responsibility of another life, particularly a dog’s life, resting on your shoulders. You are gifted with the burden of training it, along with always remembering to feed and walk your new roommate.

I won’t say a puppy is like a two-year-old because that’s a cliché (though it’s still true). But, I will say that a puppy is like a first-time boyfriend. He’s clueless and depending on how bad your ex is, may have peed on your carpet.

A boyfriend who has never had a girlfriend has things he has to learn so he doesn’t continuously anger you, and you start to wonder why you did this to yourself in the first place. He relies on you to show him these basics, like not peeing on your carpet, not dragging you down the sidewalk and not making a mess of his food.

The only difference is that I believe dogs are faster learners. Whether it’s with a dog or a boy, these basics take time and patience – two things lacking in many college students. Between classes and studying, you will need to work on getting to know your dog as it gets to know you. It’s not something you can procrastinate on. There’s a window when dogs need to learn certain things. Like they say, you can’t teach an old dog new tricks, so whatever your dog is taught or learns, in the beginning, is what they will always know.

Even if you buy your dog from a shelter and are over the puppy phase, your dog isn’t necessarily potty-trained or obedient. In some cases, your pet may have had a traumatic past that left him or her with recurring behaviors.

I had a roommate my freshman year who adopted a shelter dog. As adorable as she was, she was a lot to handle. She was completely potty-trained, but whenever my roommate left for class or work, her nerves went haywire, and she peed everywhere. It was frustrating for all of us, and there was no real way to help the dog stop this habit until it became more comfortable with being alone.

Really though, a dog should never be left alone for long, especially just after adoption.

Ghosting your dog

If the reason you wanted a dog was so you’d feel less lonely sitting at home, think of how your dog would feel whilst you’re away at class or work all day, or out at Grog all night. It’s boring, especially for an animal that only has you to keep it entertained.

Dogs need to be trained to be left alone at first. It’s inhumane to buy a dog then the next day jump into a four-hour shift or a block of classes. They have to be eased into it an hour or two at a time, and if you have a puppy, it’ll likely need to be taken out a handful of times a day.

According to Cesar’s Way, created by Cesar Milan or “The Dog Whisperer,” it’s important to think of the demands of your lifestyle and how much time you can easily and readily devote to your new life partner. One thing highlighted in the article “Dog separation anxiety from leaving dog alone,” suggested looking “at dogs who are more low-energy” or at older dogs. Breeds that tend to be more laidback and low-energy include French Bulldogs, Maltese and Bassett Hounds, who also all happen to be perfectly “apartment-sized.”

Although those breeds are more likely to be comfortable with being left home alone, the things mentioned earlier about puppies and shelter dogs still need to be considered because no two dogs are the same.

There’s no scholarship for owning a dog

Food and toys you can probably handle. You probably saved up for the initial shots and procedures. What happens if your dog breaks a leg or gets sick? It’d be comparable to a second tuition payment. And Bright Futures, sadly, doesn’t care about your pet.

Store-bought dogs have kennel cough. Old dogs have aging issues. Any dog can have a disease or internal damage that can require medication or special food, which will surely take a hit to your bank account. And then there’s the dreaded flea problem. If you can manage to get rid of them, I’d be so happy for you, but I will also be sorry you had to spend hundreds of dollars on dog shampoos and carpet cleaners.

You want to study abroad? But you have a dog!

Everyone has dreamed of taking their schooling overseas for a semester or two – but wait, you got a dog last semester. There is no four or six monthlong dog hotel. Even if there were, it would be inhumane to leave your partner in crime, the beta to your alpha, for such a long time. Sure, you can send your dog home for the time being, but the dog was initially your sole responsibility, and it comes down to you to care for it. Think of your dog’s FOMO.

So, you still want a dog?

If you are so adamant to have a dog of your own in your life, the best plan would be to adopt during the summer. At home, your family can help you adjust and your dog can learn its basics in a slower, more controlled environment. There will also be more people around the house if you have to go to work or have plans. This can ease the dog into your periodic absence.

There will be so much time to get a dog when you are better prepared. Do yourself a favor and don’t let puppy fever tempt you before you’re ready.

Taylor is a sophomore at the University of Florida studying all things journalism. You'll probably see her venturing around Gainesville with a camera and a good book, and she'll probably stop to say hi to your dog. She is also a proud plant mother, a tea junkie, and a creative writer. Get to know her better on her Instagram and on her blog, Taylor Is.
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.