Life > Experiences

One door opens, another closes: 19 life-changing things I did before turning 19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I am a huge fan of birthdays. To me, they’ve always signified growth, new beginnings and endless new opportunities. Still, I always looked forward to other people’s birthdays more than I did my own. With my birthday being two days before the new year, I have always been apprehensive of all these new beginnings and opportunities. Something changed this year, and now I am over the moon about turning 19 and seeing what the next year has in store for me. 

Eighteen was my favorite age so far — as cliché as it sounds— I accomplished things that I am extremely proud and learned so many valuable lessons through countless experiences. 

I want to share 19, big and small, life-changing things I did this year before I turn 19:

1. Saw the sunset at the park so, so, so many times

This year, my friends and I quickly fell in love with seeing the sunset at a park in our hometown. Every time we didn’t know what to do, we found ourselves setting up red checkered mats and sitting in chatter and laughter until the sun went down. From spending birthdays watching the sunset to going after exams or reuniting there on college breaks, it has been something I have grown to love.

2. Took a million film photos

OK… maybe more like went through seven rolls of film. I have written about my love for film photos before, and my love for it still persists. The candid moments, all the surprises and the tangible memories are something I always look forward to and will continue to carry with me for many years to come.

3. Had my breast reduction

This is a whole article for another time, but this past February I had a breast reduction that completely changed my life. Going from always wearing baggy clothes because I felt a constant need to be covered up to wearing whatever I wanted was extremely gratifying and allowed me to gain more confidence than I could have ever imagined!

4. Placed first at DECA states

Last year, my friends and I set up a book drive to collect over 3,000 books and $700 to help stock a library in Uganda. We entered this community service campaign into our DECA competition and ended up placing first in the state. It was honestly extremely rewarding to see all our hard work pay off and the best way to end our senior year.

5. Got accepted into UF

I sat 10 feet away from my friends as we hesitantly clicked the “view update” button on our application page. Filled with nerves and anticipation we read “Congratulations on your admission to the University of Florida for the Fall 2021 term.” All of us got accepted into the school we had talked about for as long as we could remember and jumped up and down in excitement. Little did we know this was just the beginning of a beautiful journey.

6. Took my first (and not definitely not last) cycle class

I took my first class at CycleBar back in May after wanting a change of pace not expecting anything out of it. It has been over 120 rides since then, and I am so glad I found a hobby like it. Cycle classes have taught me countless of lessons and introduced me to so many people who I am so grateful to be able to call my friends. It has truly been an outlet where I know I can forget about everything else while being surrounded by a sense of community like no other.

7. Got my first big girl apartment with my roommates

After my UF acceptance, everything moved so fast, and I suddenly found myself signing the lease to my first big girl apartment with my roommates. Getting the keys and moving in was so surreal. It is something I knew would happen eventually but sometimes I still can’t wrap my head around that my parents are not in the next room. I have learned so much living away from home, and while it has been an adjustment, I can’t wait to see where it takes me.

8. Visited New York

The concrete buildings, rows of yellow taxis and sidewalks filled with fast-paced walkers is a sight I will never get tired of. While I had visited New York before, this year I got to see so much more of it and was able to appreciate all it offers. Visiting New York this year motivated me toward working for my goals in hopes that I will be able to call it home soon!

9. Graduated high school

While sometimes it felt never-ending, I finally graduated high school this year. I worked extremely hard to graduate with two associate degrees and a GPA that I am still extremely proud of. Walking across the stage in my royal blue cap and gown alongside all my friends made every aspect of it worth it in the end.

10. Spent the summer shadowing my anesthesiologist

This past summer I shadowed my anesthesiologist from my surgery for an entire month through my hospital’s observer program. I was at the hospital every Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. and would not trade the experience for anything in the world. I went from someone who was intimated of the fluorescent bright lights and white coats to someone who was completely in awe of everything in the surgical unit. From watching countless amazing surgeries and learning so much about medical school and the careers of those around me, it was one of the best things I did the entire year.

11. Got vaccinated against Covid-19

I teared up as the vaccine got pushed into my arm at the beginning of the year – not because it hurt but because it was truly the first step towards normalcy after being quarantined for so long. In-person school, going to the movies again and being able to gather with others in larger groups is all I thought about. Science is so cool. Get vaccinated and protect those around you!

12. Started reading for fun again

After becoming more and more aware of my increasing screen time when school was on Zoom, I decided to start reading for fun again. Rather than spending hours mindlessly scrolling through Instagram or TikTok, I flipped page after page and learned so much about whatever I read about. As of now I am really into medical novels and am curious if that will change in the next year!

13. Learned how to braid my hair

I used to be the “can you please braid my hair” girl – no matter how hard I tried, braiding my hair into Dutch and French braids was not something I could grasp. After seeing Black Widow in theaters and all of Florence Pugh’s intricate braids, I was determined to learn. Eventually, I got the hang of it and now I practically live in Dutch braids spiraled into buns.

14. Went to France for the first time

My mom is from the South of France and always dreamed of taking my sister and I to visit. This summer we finally booked the nine-hour flight and landed in one of the most beautiful places I had ever visited. From the pebble beaches, visiting the local spots my mom went to when she was my age and finally getting to meet my uncles and grandma, it was such a memorable way to end my last summer living at home!

15. Rushed for PhiDE

Knowing I wanted to be a part of something bigger than myself in college, I rushed for Phi Delta Epsilon – a premedical fraternity – at the beginning of the semester and got accepted! As someone who is usually shy, I shocked myself by making memorable conversations and even enjoying my interview. Rushing for PhiDE is something I am so glad I did as I have met so many people I will forever be grateful for.

16. Pursued a long-time interest and started writing for Her Campus UFL

I remember reading through Her Campus articles in my junior year of high school and writing about the organization in my “why us” essay for my UF application, so I did not even think twice when Her Campus applications opened. Here I am, so many articles later beyond grateful that HC has given me a platform to share my thoughts, opinions and everything else with those reading and has connected me to such an amazing group of girls.

17. Saw Harry Styles in concert

I am an avid concert-goer and the Covid-19 pandemic canceled many of the concerts I dreamed of attending. Finally, after over a year, I got to see Harry Styles perform in Sunrise back in October, and it was one of the best experiences. My love for concerts and live music was instantly reignited and I can’t wait for more artists to start touring again.

18. Started going to counseling

Considering my social media is filled with aesthetic quotes and positivity reminders relating to self-love, mental health and growth, my hesitancy towards seeking professional help was one I could not wrap my head around. Finally, I decided to do it, and while it was not easy at first, I am so glad I did. I have learned so much about myself in these past couple of months and cannot wait to see where I am headed in this journey.

19. Completed my first college semester

After all the lectures, assignments, late-night exams, introducing myself to so many people, endless office hours with professors, coffee runs, fun nights, one too many panic attacks and new fun memories, I can finally say I completed my first semester of college and I am extremely proud.

I am beyond thankful for all the things I accomplished during 18, and all the paths I crossed. No matter how big or small, each experience, lesson or challenge I have faced this year has truly shaped me into the person I am right now. Here’s to another year of personal growth, learning and blooming into the person I am truly meant to be.

With love,
Anita

Anita is a second-year public health and biology major with a minor in health disparities on the pre-med track! She has a passion for promoting equity in the medical field and hopes to share this through her writing. When she's not busy writing or studying you can often find her taking cycle classes, travelling, bullet journaling, and reading!