Life > Experiences

7 Reasons Why You Should Start Taking Film Pictures

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The trend of film photography has gained popularity since Gigi Hadid and David Dobrik launched their film photography Instagram accounts back in June 2019 – and it is one that many of us have gotten behind. Millions of us follow @gisposable, @davidsdisposable and many other film accounts that share moments captured in film, and we are in awe of the vulnerability and rawness that these pictures capture. Consequently, we have been inspired to do the same. I have been taking film pictures since March 2020 and have quickly fallen in love with the process of it – even making my own account inspired by others to share the special moments with my friends and family: @anitasdisposable. From start to finish, the process of taking film pictures has taught me so much, and if you are not already convinced to start taking film photos here are seven reasons why you should start:

1. Film pictures allow you to live in the moment

Often, with digital photography, we get so caught up in the results of a picture. Whether it is how satisfied we are with lighting, the background or our poses, we spend more time looking at pictures of the past rather than focusing on what is right in front of us. With film photography, you snap a picture and are unable to see it until the roll gets developed. I have always found this to be one of the best aspects of film pictures because it forces you to live in the moment rather than focus on how satisfied you are with the results.

2. Film lets you capture the candid moments

Personally, my favorite part of film photography is the vulnerability that comes out of the images. Whether I’m hanging out with friends or at an outing, I find myself leaving my film camera out and letting everyone take their shots – leaving me with images that capture not only my experience from that day, but also the experiences of the people that surround me. There is something special about capturing experiences with film due to the candidness of the images. Unlike digital images that you capture on your phone, film pictures are not as posed and feel more natural.

3. Brighter colors replicate real life

Film loves overexposure and as a beginner with film, it is extremely forgiving when it comes to lighting. Because I have never really minded whether the pictures are grainy or not, I have never really played with any settings and just turn on the flash to capture my pictures. Still, I am always left with the brightest and most colorful pictures that I never would have taken on my phone. Unlike the dull and grey images my phone captures, my film camera produces bright and colorful images that replicate life as I view it from my eyes.

4. Physical photos, physical memories

Depending on where you get your film developed, you will most likely get your photos printed physically. Sometimes they also come on a CD so you can download them on your laptop. Getting physical copies of your photos gives you so much creative freedom. Personally, I collage my copies in my bullet journal, but the possibilities as to what you can do with these are endless.

5. Unique imperfectness in your photos

Whether it is getting a light leak in your film (as shown below) or having your fingers in the way, there is a unique imperfectness that comes with film pictures. Especially because there is only one shot with these photos, you cannot prevent imperfections, and that is something that you must learn to love. I have stacks upon stacks of photos that others would consider ruined, yet, because of this exact reason, they are some of my favorites.

Anita Beijer Film
Original photo by Anita Beijer

6. Element of surprise

There is no feeling like flipping through the physical copies of your photos for the first time. Every time I get my pictures developed at my local Walgreens, I sit in my car and go through the pictures smiling from ear to ear. There is such an element of surprise when it comes to seeing your film for the first time – especially when it takes you longer to fill a roll. Whether it is a roll of 24 or 36 exposures, it usually takes me over a month to go through the camera. Flipping through these pictures is such a unique experience because you often forget about smaller moments, see pictures that you did not even know were taken or stumble across a picture you had been looking forward to seeing for a long time.

7. The camera choices are endless

Film photos are so versatile and their rise in popularity leaves you with many camera options. I started taking film photos on a disposable camera. These range from $12.99 for a Kodak or Fujifilm disposable camera to about $24 for a Lomography disposable camera, which are single-use cameras that you can throw away after you finish the roll of film they come with. Because I was taking so many of these pictures, my friends got me a more sustainable option: a Kodak reusable film camera that you continue to refill with film. A multitude of options makes it so much easier for a beginner to experiment with film photography.

There is such a joy and simplicity that comes with film that is unlike any other photo medium. Capturing these one-shot photos is such a unique experience that leaves you with raw and vulnerable images that teach you to appreciate the beauty behind the entire process.

Anita is a second-year public health and biology major with a minor in health disparities on the pre-med track! She has a passion for promoting equity in the medical field and hopes to share this through her writing. When she's not busy writing or studying you can often find her taking cycle classes, travelling, bullet journaling, and reading!