NOW at UF: Your Local Empowering Women’s Group

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

We’re protesting things we never imagined we would need to protest in the United States in 2019, including the lack of rights and equality for women. Finding a group of empowering women can be a great place to understand crucial information about a variety of topics like modern politics, health and safety — and it’s also a great way to join a community and make friends with like-minded people.

The University of Florida’s chapter of the National Organization for Women was formed in the spring of 2018. Now, the club has made strides in informing UF students while involving them on the national level of activism.

What is NOW?

The National Organization for Women (NOW) is the largest organization of feminist grassroots activists in the U.S. NOW was founded in 1966 and currently has over 550 chapters in all 50 states. The organization puts an emphasis on intersectionality, which means it includes women of all races, classes, abilities and sexualities as a means of uniting against oppression, but also as a means of creating meaningful conversations from varying viewpoints.

NOW stresses the need to be heard no matter your background, especially in the turmoil of today’s political climate. Through its fierce belief in intersectional feminism, they give proper attention to every aspect of feminism. Each individual feminist is heard because no two women experience sexism the same way.

“We all came together because we wanted to be a part of a community that shares the same ideals,” said Selena Govan, the founder and president of NOW at UF. “NOW allows [girls] to express their opinions in an open-minded network of strong women.”

If you’re interested in leading societal change and fighting for equality, NOW at UF may be a good place for you to start.

What does NOW do?

“Each month we focus on a different theme,” Govan said. “So far, we have had National Human Trafficking Awareness Month, National Domestic Violence Awareness Month, Women’s History Month, etc. [and] within our monthly themes we have general body meetings, civic engagement events, fundraisers and mentorship socials.”

Each theme the group takes on relates back to NOW’s beliefs and focuses on seeking a change in the status quo. NOW at UF makes a point to reach out to the local community for involvement. Change can start anywhere.

NOW has found ways to stay active in the area by tabling, having talks and holding or attending local events for issues that the group supports. The group exercises its mission with other local organizations such as Peaceful Paths and Created Gainesville. Sometimes, its speakers visit NOW’s meetings to pass on information relating to college-aged feminists.

I was able to attend NOW’s general body meeting for its National Domestic Violence Awareness Month this past fall where a representative from Peaceful Paths spoke. I left knowing so much more about what it means to be in a toxic relationship. Getting to talk with and listen to the other girls and their situations made me feel more conscientious of what others my age have been through and how I could help people navigating harmful relationships.

Outside of the group’s normal discussions of politics and civic service, it likes to find a way to bond and connect with each other.

Something the club developed over the last semester was a mentorship program for its members, taking it another step further in making the organization feel like a relaxed place for attendees.

“We usually do some fun activities, like our December GBM. [It] was a mentorship reveal, and we decorated cookies,” said Regan Fox, the director of communications of NOW. “We, hopefully, create a safe space where people are comfortable to talk and learn.”

Why should I join a group like NOW?

You’re probably thinking, “I know I’m a feminist, so why do I need to join a club for it?” Being part of a women’s group can completely redefine what it means to be a feminist. You might even discover things you never thought to have an opinion on.

In a group setting, you can freely learn about what you’re supporting and how you can do your part in a way that’s best for you. Getting involved in an organization like NOW can help you find ways to get involved in the community, and it can look great on a resume that you were able to find your niche in activism. If anything, it can be a fun way to meet new people you might have otherwise not had the chance to.

“My favorite thing about NOW at UF is how inclusive and diverse the organization is,” Govan said. “As a woman of color, I really stress the importance of intersectionality in feminism and try to showcase that in NOW.” 

“I hope that girls take away from their time with NOW that their voice matters and [to] not be afraid to be heard. NOW has empowered me to stand my ground and stick up for what I believe in,” she said.

As they say, there’s strength in numbers. Taking part in a women’s group could be the boost your confidence needs to feel unapologetically feminist.

Taylor is a sophomore at the University of Florida studying all things journalism. You'll probably see her venturing around Gainesville with a camera and a good book, and she'll probably stop to say hi to your dog. She is also a proud plant mother, a tea junkie, and a creative writer. Get to know her better on her Instagram and on her blog, Taylor Is.
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.