My Experience as a White-Passing Cuban

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

This article was originally published in October 2017.

Last week as I was going through my morning routine, drinking iced coffee and scrolling through Twitter, I came across a photo posted by an Alabama high school student of her holding a sign that read “Put the Panic Back in Hispanic.”

I felt a rush of anger and sickness from those five words. Those words were aimed at my mother, cousins, and grandparents who immigrated here from Cuba. It dawned on me, that though I am as Hispanic as they come, I would never actually experience the severity of the hatred directed towards immigrants. This is because, to be honest, I look like a typical white woman – I have no accent, and my name (Celine Besman) is not telling of my heritage. 

For reference:

This led me down a rabbit hole of different thoughts. I benefit from all the advantages of being able to put down Hispanic on any and all documents, but I have never personally experienced any oppression or hate that my friends and family have. To be honest, I don’t know what to feel about this. Some would say that I should feel lucky, but I don’t. I am also not implying at all that I want to experience the oppression and discrimination that comes with being a minority in America, in order to somewhat prove that I am just as deserving as calling myself Cuban as someone who looks Cuban is.

Even though I have not experienced oppression or hatred because of my Cuban background, I have strangely experienced a version of it from the Latinx community.

I am Cuban. I was brought up by my Spanish-speaking abuelita while both of my parents worked full-time, speak Spanish fluently, had a traditional quince, spray violetas after every shower, drink café con leche every morning and wear my azabache necklace every day. 

Me circa 2010 celebrating my quincenera featuring a lot of hair, no eyebrows and a softball farmer’s tan (sunburn):

Because of my very fair skin, I oftentimes find myself excluded from the Latinx community – this being something as small as someone explaining something about Hispanic culture that, naturally, I am already familiar with. I am usually regarded as “not really” Cuban or asked to prove that I am. People that look and sound Latinx are never asked to prove themselves. Usually I am asked to speak Spanish in order to prove it, which is odd since I have met many people that are and look Hispanic but can’t speak Spanish and their background is never questioned. Also, being able to speak Spanish should not be a validation of someone’s ethnicity. Most of the time I get annoyed by this and tell the person anyone that took a Spanish 1 course could “speak Spanish to you.” By this point I usually dismiss myself from the situation, but sometimes when I am feeling spicy I argue with them.

It hurts to not always be accepted by the Latinx community, especially when others would look at my situation and celebrate it. I am a child of an immigrant about to become a first-generation college graduate.

As stated, this incident sparked a lot of thoughts. I feel like I will have these internal and external battles for years to come, especially as I move into the post-grad world, but for now, I will continue celebrating my beautiful Cuban background.

Celine is a fifth-year public relations major with a minor in something new every week. She is from West Palm Beach, which means she is constantly applying SPF 75+. This is her fourth semester with Her Campus UFL, and she is so excited to continue to grow from this experience! She enjoys wasting too much time at HomeGoods for someone who does not own a home to have goods for, and she has enough mugs for coffee and tea to probably be able to use a different one each day. Celine's nights typically consist of SNL and The Office along with good food and good company celinebesman.wordpress.com