Music Rewind: Nostalgic Songs From Every Year of the 2000s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The 2000s were a decade to remember – especially in music. Most of you reading this were likely a few years old during the first decade of the new millennium, but that doesn’t mean you weren’t able to appreciate the iconic music of this era.

This time period had various genres of music that helped evolve into the songs we listen to today. Let’s take a trip down memory lane and remember the popular songs from each year in this iconic decade.

2000 – “Independent Woman, Pt. 1” by Destiny’s Child

Of course, before Beyoncé was ridin’ solo, she was a part of the girl group Destiny’s Child alongside Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams. Their song “Independent Woman Pt. 1” debuted at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 on Nov. 18, 2000 and stayed there for 11 weeks. The song is a great girl-power anthem; I’m still bumping to it to this day! Listen to “Independent Woman Pt. 1” below.

2001 – “Fallin’” by Alicia Keys

Alicia Keys is known for her unique and powerful voice. One of her most popular songs, “Fallin’” off of her debut album, hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 on August 18, 2001, and stayed there for six weeks. Take a listen to her song below and see if you get chills every time she sings like I do, and try not to belt out the lyrics (or do, I can’t stop you!)

2002 – “Lose Yourself” by Eminem

One of Eminem’s signature songs, which he’s arguably most famous for, is “Lose Yourself.” This track debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 at number one on Nov. 9, 2002 and stayed there for 12 weeks. This song remains popular today and continues to motivate listeners everywhere with lines like “You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow this opportunity comes once in a lifetime.” Turn up to this motivational anthem below.

2003 – “Hey Ya” by OutKast

This jam hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 on Dec. 13, 2003 and stayed there for nine weeks. I don’t know about you, but I can’t help but jam out hard to this song whenever it plays. I’ve known every word since I was a kid. I remember playing the entire Speakerboxxx/The Love Below as a child and singing along to songs I didn’t even understand. Now that we’re old enough, we can appreciate this song and the rest of the album even more. Listen to “Hey Ya” below.

2004 – “Yeah!” by Usher ft. Lil Jon and Ludacris

This song is still a bop today, and no one can tell me otherwise. If I heard this in the club, I’d probably scream then proceed to break it down as if it was the year 2004. This song took the Billboard Hot 100 number one spot on Feb. 28, 2004 and stayed there for 12 weeks. Listen to “Yeah!” below.

2005 – “We Belong Together” by Mariah Carey

This diva isn’t only known for her Christmas hit “All I Want for Christmas Is You”. This contemporary R&B song hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 on June 4, 2005 and stayed there for 14 weeks. Belt out this song with Mariah as if it was the year 2005 by listening below.

2006 – “Irreplaceable” by Beyoncé

The Beyhive definitely knows this song. Actually, almost anyone who was alive in 2006 has heard this hit before. Popular for the lyrics “to the left, to the left,” Beyoncé wrote this breakup anthem, empowering women everywhere to not be afraid to leave their unfaithful lover. Sing along to this power ballad below.

2007 – “Crank That (Soulja Boy)” by Soulja Boy

This pop culture hit is remembered for its accompanying dance, that’s still played at many parties and clubs today. It went to number on the Billboard Hot 100 on Sept. 15, 2007 and stayed there for seven weeks. Crank that Soulja Boy along with the video below.

2008 – “Low” by Flo Rida ft. T-Pain

This bop had my friends and I getting low at recess in the fourth grade. “Low” hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 on Jan. 5, 2008 and stayed there for 10 weeks. Get “low” to this throwback below.

2009 – “I Gotta Feeling” by The Black Eyed Peas

This pop hit was definitely the song of the year in my opinion. It’s such an upbeat and mood-changing song. Every time I heard this song in 2009, I couldn’t help but jam along. This song hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 on July 11, 2009 and stayed there for 14 weeks. Listen to this jam (featuring Fergie in her prime, prior to her National Anthem mishap) below.

These songs were not only number one on the charts, but they were defining songs of each year in this decade. They influenced pop culture through their accompanying dances and lyrics, all of which represents the 2000s. While music has evolved in the past decade, we can still appreciate the music of the past. This trip down memory lane has come to a close, but I encourage you to continue proudly jamming out to these nostalgic hits.

Cady Casellas is a sophomore journalism student at the University of Florida. She enjoys listening to music, spending time with her big Cuban family, fangirling over bands and playing with her dogs. She also plays euphonium and is a member of Sigma Alpha Iota International Music Fraternity.