Modern Day ’90s Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Every good fashionista knows that almost all trends that go out of style or die out eventually make their way back around. Even today, we’re seeing a bit of that rockin’ ‘90s flair creep its way back into our daily fashion choices, which I absolutely love, by the way. Spotted across campus this week was Brittney Johnson, a collegiette who clearly knows a thing or two about working a modern day ’90s-inspired outfit. Brittney looked beyond chic in a cut-up T-shirt and shorts with a denim button-up shirt tied around her waist. She accessorized her outfit with knee-high black gladiators, retro sunglasses, a blue patterned tote and a simple gold bangle. Keep reading to learn more about Brittney’s ’90s chic style!

Name: Brittney Johnson

Age: 19

Year: freshman

Major: graphic design

Where is your outfit from? My Keith Haring crop top is from Forever 21, the shorts are from Lauren Conrad’s Kohl’s line, and the denim polo is from PacSun. My gladiators are from Guess, my bag is a Maison Goyard St. Louis purse, the ring I’m wearing is David Yurman, and my bracelet is a super old 1970s hand-me-down Cartier.”

What do you look for when it comes to fashion? What I look for in fashion are pieces that match my bold personality yet do so in a put together way. I love when outfits have the perfect balance of simple with a stand-out factor.”

Who are your favorite designers? “My favorites in the fashion world are the House of Valentino, Gucci, Missoni and Céline. I’d also have to add Michael Kors as a person because working at a Michael Kors, I learned so much more about his collections and career; he used to work for Céline, and his runway collections always kill it.”

Where do you like to shop? “If I could live in Neiman Marcus, I would. I have plenty of Michael Kors’ amazing clothes thanks to my job back home, and I also love shopping at Miami boutiques like Koko & Palenki, Blush and Kore. Also, H&M pretty much never disappoints either!”

What are your favorite trends right now? “Some of my favorite trends right now would have to be all the edgy sunglasses that have been coming out like Dior’s ‘So Real’ and the comeback of graphic tees. It’s like a non-girly girl’s dream world.”

What are you currently obsessing about in your closet? “Something in my closet that I’ve been obsessing about are lacy bralettes! They’re the perfect underlayer for any cute top and really give an edge to whatever you’re wearing.”