This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

What gets you excited about life? What ignites a spark in you every time it crosses your mind? Whether it be a place, person, job, hobby or anything in between, we each have a light in our lives that leave us recharged and at peace.

In this series, I interview people on the lights in their lives. I hope to introduce readers to new perspectives and spread positivity along the way. I mean, who doesn’t love to listen to someone dish about what makes them happy? Sign me up!

Cassidy Carlson is a 21-year-old recent University of Florida (UF) graduate who majored in business. Her interests revolve around the behind scenes of businesses, marketing and above all else, entrepreneurship.

As soon as Carlson got a glimpse into the world of entrepreneurship, she was hooked. She found the self-reliant nature of the work to be inspiring and invigorating. She grew up watching her parents launch their businesses, create opportunities for themselves left and right and pave their way.

“My parents were able to make their own schedule and put their children first, which is something I knew I wanted the ability to do too,” Carlson said. “I really valued that growing up, and I still do to this day.”

Carlson knew from a young age that she was an independent and determined individual. By the time she was a junior in high school, she was in a dual enrollment program, running an Airbnb business and working at a local resort spa.

“Working for yourself is thrilling, and it makes me hopeful for the future,” Carlson said.

I asked her if there was a signifying moment where she knew that entrepreneurship was the right path for her or a moment she knew that this was her passion.

She explained how there was one time during her shift at the hotel when she overheard a guest who wasn’t able to book a room. She approached the man and before she knew it, ended up booking him for her Airbnb that night. The experience was exhilarating to her and she knew she would be from then on that she would be constantly chasing that feeling. She has taken on an entrepreneurial path, and it’s something that grants her undeniable happiness.

Carlson sees entrepreneurship as a form of expression. It’s all you, your effort, your time, your focus. It motivates her. She enjoys not being under the restraints of any person or company and sees it as a way to make more money more efficiently. Financial freedom and flexibility in life are important to Carlson and this is a passion that allows her to get what she needs. She can use her time to better herself and her endeavors simultaneously making entrepreneurship the gift that keeps on giving.

“It gives me a sense of purpose,” Carlson said. “It makes me proud to see everything I’m capable of. I learn something new every day.”

Seeing results in real-time is an aspect of entrepreneurship that she admits will never get old. Carlson is invested in these results by analyzing reports or seeing how her consistent posts and hard work generate clicks and more calls for the business.

Carlson is grateful to be able to lead the life that she does, and she attributes her lifestyle to entrepreneurship. This light has shined into varying areas in her life. Other passions of hers, such as traveling, can be tapped into more due to her hard work and determination within entrepreneurship. Daily, she is making discoveries about herself and doing things she never thought she would. Her passion has opened various doors for her professionally and personally.

“I see entrepreneurship as a part of who I am, it’s like a personality trait of mine if that makes sense,” Carlson said.

Journalism major at the University of Florida.