freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

“Just Break Up” Podcast Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Sierra DeMulder cried to Sam Blackwell after her first heartbreak in the back of a coffee shop they worked at. This consequently began a beautiful friendship and eventually their podcast.

We’ve all been there. It’s 2 a.m. We’re sitting in our bedroom, blasting “thank u, next.” We’re wondering what we could have done or said and how things went downhill so fast.

We go through heartbreak in some way, shape or form. For some, it can be a job loss, internship rejection or a bad grade. For others, it’s the loss of a significant other or a best friend.

If there’s anything that I have learned in my lifetime, it’s that the heart can hurt like you could never imagine, but having people who understand and empathize with that pain makes it hurt a little less. 

If you are tired of sitting through the breakup playlists and blasting “thank u, next” on repeat, (or even if you’re not) this podcast is for you. Just Break Up is a podcast about love, life, heartbreak and everything in between. They will cry and laugh with you.

Sierra and Sam feel like your best friends after one listen. After their disclaimer that they are not certified experts in the area, Sierra and Sam say the right words in times of turmoil. Their expertise comes from their shared experiences and the lessons they’ve learned. The two share what they know about universal feelings such as love and heartbreak.

Everyone goes through terrible heartbreak. Everyone has been ghosted. But, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.

When you face darkness, they are the warmth and the light you need. The podcast feels like a warm hug you never knew you needed. They remind you that hurt is just as valuable as love, and we are lucky if we have lived and loved.

The irony of the podcast is that most people won’t find it unless they are going through a breakup, but I think that listening to the podcast even if you aren’t in the middle of a breakup has its own value. Even if the emails sent in by listeners don’t pertain to your own situation, there’s always a word of advice to take away from it. Learn how to love, set boundaries and make time for yourself. Sierra and Sam never let you forget. The advice they have rings true in every walk of life. They affirm your feelings and let you know it’s okay to hurt and heal. They make you feel like you are going to be okay, even if just for a 40-minute episode.

At the end of every podcast, Sierra and Sam set you up on a blind date with something that they’re currently loving. Whether it’s an advice column like “Ask Polly” or an app, these “blind dates” are reminders that there are always more things to love in this world.

My personal favorite episodes are “#BlockBlockBlockBlockBlock” (that’s right, that’s five #blocks) and “He Is Not Worth Erasing Yourself Everyday For a Year.”

Sierra and Sam won’t shield you from the harshness of life. They’ll acknowledge that it’s hard and heartbreak hurts. But, they will be there cheering you on no matter what.

Not to mention, their merch is absolutely perfect. You could be rocking a “Block Your Ex” T-shirt in no time.

Next time you are feeling down, pause the Lizzo song and put on this podcast for some wisdom. They’ll help you more than you realize. And, if all else fails – just break up.

Tien Le

UFL '22

UF Class of 2021. Journalism & women's studies. Viviana Moreno is a writer and online creative dedicated to exuding warmth and promoting inclusivity. She creates content that fuels truth and curiosity through her contributions to publications that seek to empower and inform primarily college-aged individuals.