Career > Her20s

It’s That Time of Year Again: The Homesick Period

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

We have all been there, and if you haven’t yet you are bound to face the dreaded feeling at one point or another. It’s officially homesick season.

College students of all ages are starting to face the feeling of missing their hometowns, and many people are unsure what to do next. While many people often feel they are alone in this situation, approximately 69% of college students face “severe homesickness.”

The first question many people may ask themselves is, “Why now?” Many students, especially freshmen, expect to get over any homesick feelings within the beginning of school. However, it is common for this feeling to resurface, or for students to face this feeling for the first time, right about now. 

I’ve always been an easy adjuster, and I never figured I would have a problem adjusting to college. What I wasn’t aware of is that college is not the perfect little bubble it appears to be on Instagram.

College is hard and a whole new adjustment. Not only that, but I assumed any homesick feelings would be gone by my sophomore year.

If anything, I feel homesick more this year. At first I was confused why I missed home so much, but I have now realized that this feeling is completely normal

I often tend to miss home because it reminds me of a previous chapter of my life – one that seems easier from a distance. Especially now, when tests are starting to build up and my flights home for Thanksgiving were just recently booked, I feel it more than ever.

Even though the first week of school tends to be one of the hardest with readjusting and moving in, these past couple of weeks have felt even more difficult because I haven’t been home in so long, and I know I am going back soon. 

Even though I have these feelings, I know I just have to work to overcome them and focus on my life at UF. Both my academic and social life here are important to me, and I know I must live in the present rather than fixate on the past.

Here are some tips I try to keep in mind to avoid the inevitable feeling of homesickness: 

Even if you feel homesick from time to time, it doesn’t mean you are unhappy at school.

When people start to miss home, they may assume it’s because they aren’t happy in college.

However, even some of the happiest college students feel homesick from time to time because the reality of this adjustment is difficult for just about anyone.

Try to keep in mind that this feeling is normal, and focus on keeping yourself both happy and healthy at school.

It’s completely normal to give yourself a break.

Sometimes all you need to avoid feeling homesick is a break. Removing yourself from stressful situations and focusing on your mental health should always be a priority.

Sometimes, you may even need a weekend home, and that is OK.

Just remember once you give yourself this break to return back to your typical college lifestyle and focus on the positives in your life.

Remember the grass is always greener on the other side.

Even though going home may seem ideal from time to time, know that this is often just a feeling of nostalgia.

Remember the past isn’t always better, and something may just seem better when you aren’t experiencing it yourself.

Know you are not the only one feeling this way.

Even if you feel alone, it is likely that many people you know have these same feelings.

Don’t be afraid to talk to someone and admit how you are feeling.

Sometimes, talking your feelings out is half the battle.

All in all, prioritize your happiness and focus on overcoming this obstacle.

Jolie Freedman is a Sophomore at the University of Florida and is from Melville, New York. Jolie is working towards achieving a Bachelor of Arts in journalism with an outside concentration in marketing. Jolie has a passion for storytelling and digital media, and she places a heavy emphasis on the importance of social media. Jolie is also a campus trendsetter for Her Campus Media and an ambassador for the College of Journalism and Communications. Aside from her journalistic involvement, Jolie enjoys skiing and art. Jolie's inspiration to join the Her Campus community stems from her involvement as the Print Manager and Staff Writer/Editor for her high school's newspaper.