thought catalog xVRdDDe6M1A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
thought catalog xVRdDDe6M1A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I Took a No-Makeup Selfie Every Day for a Week, & Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

A brief disclaimer: When I started this article, I had not intended it to be about no-makeup selfies. The inspiration came to me after a really long day when I felt really gross and icky and decided to play around on Snapchat. I ended up taking a few selfies that I was really fond of, and that made me feel confident and better about the exhausting day I had had. So I embarked on this mission — a selfie a day for a week — and wanted to report back on how each one made me feel.

Halfway through, however, I realized that not a single one was a full glam-shot with makeup. There were some that I felt really good about, and some where my face is kinda greasy and sweaty, and it’s only by the magic of angles and lighting that I look passable. But each one was just my face and whatever lightning and background were on hand.

Day 1: Post-Workout Selfie

So a little backstory with this one: I totally forgot my headphones before my workout, but I decided to stick to it anyway and managed to finish. I had woken up feeling a little down and was even considering skipping the gym since I hadn’t gotten that much sleep the previous night, but I decided to go through with it. Even though I forgot both my headphones and the elastic band I use to keep my bangs out of my face, I persevered. This is a triumphant selfie!

Day 2: Snapchat-filter selfie

At the end of Day 2, I was kinda gross and grimy. My hair looked disgusting, my face was all greasy, and I just didn’t want to take a selfie at all. So, much like the day I got the inspiration to write this article, I took a Snapchat selfie. The magic of technology made my gross face look passable! It was a really quick boost of self-esteem but one that I appreciated a lot.

Day 3: Good-hair-day selfie

I woke up on Day 3 with fantastic hair — it was just falling perfectly, and my side bangs had this great swoop thing going on. I didn’t even need to do any makeup or filters. I just felt really great in general. I took this picture about an hour after I woke up, and all throughout the day, I felt great about my appearance.

Day 4: Glasses selfie

So, I wear glasses. A lot of people do. For the most part, on days when I know I am going to be out a lot, I switch to my contact lenses. I very rarely (if ever) post pictures of myself wearing my glasses on social media. It’s been ten years since I was teased in middle school for having glasses, but the stigma still sticks. Since Day 4 was a day where I sat at home and worked on school work and did chores, I didn’t put on my contacts. It was a glasses day, and I decided to confront my hesitation about posting glasses pics.

Day 5: Group selfie

Inspired by Day 4, I decided to finish up the week in my glasses. This one’s a group selfie at a trivia night. I actually made my friends retake this one a few times because I wasn’t pleased with the angle of my face. The first one definitely made it seem too wide. Ultimately, I used the one where all three of us looked happy — and that’s the more important thing when it comes to group pictures.

Day 6: #OOTD selfie

This was taken at 7:40 a.m. when I was about to run out of the house. I still followed the no-makeup creed I’d decided on the fourth day, but I decided to do a different kind of selfie. It was finally cold enough in the morning to wear a jacket, and I was pretty proud of this outfit. At the end of the day, I had been out of the house for almost thirteen hours, but I had started off pretty confident (albeit incredibly tired from a lack of sleep) because of this selfie, and that definitely helped fuel me for the first few hours.

Day 7: No makeup, no filter, no angles — just me

Instead of doing a glam blow-out shot on the last day like I had originally planned, I decided to go with the total opposite. This is me with no makeup, no filter, no angles (besides a little tilt just to show that I do have acne) and no flattering lighting. I don’t think I look good in this, but I don’t need to look good. I look like me. I don’t think I’m ugly; Day 6 and Day 3 definitely made my confidence soar. I don’t think I’m unworthy; Day 1 and Day 5 showed me that I can accomplish things and spend time with friends. I don’t feel like I need a self-esteem boost, unlike Day 2; This is me at the start of a day, not yet exhausted and crumbling. This is just…me. Me after my morning coffee and washing my face. Me about to launch into a day’s worth of projects and papers and deadlines. I don’t need to look pretty or extraordinary just to be myself.

I used to take more selfies when I used to wear more makeup and go out more often. I was pretty proud of them, but this was the first time I took this many selfies (and posted them on my social media) where I didn’t have any makeup on. There’s a power to self-expression when it comes to selfies: I can slap a filter on and make a bad day better, I can adjust the lighting and angles, or I can just post a picture of me, right after waking up and before starting my day. It’s a powerful tool, and we should use it for good: to spread good and to feel good.

Selfies courtesy of the author, Petrana Radulovic.

Petrana Radulovic is a senior studying English and Computer Science. She hopes to be a writer someday and live in the Pacific Northwest, where she will undoubtedly divide her time between sipping coffee at a local café and sipping coffee in her living room, working on her latest story. She enjoys singing when she thinks she’s the only person at home, obsessively watching America’s Next Top Model, and wearing all black no matter what the weather. In her future, she sees many cats and many books and many mugs. She is currently the Senior Editor for HerCampus UFL, but writes the occasional article because she can't help herself. This is her sixth semester with HerCampus.