I Registered to Vote. Now What?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Voting is the single most powerful tool we have to improve the society that we live in. When you register to vote, you’re finally grasping a tool for changing the world for the better. After all, the beauty of democracy is to have our voices heard. When we don’t take advantage of our ability to speak up, it will make matters worse. “Silence equals complicity.” That saying really struck me when I heard it at the Women’s March in St. Petersburg this January. The march really opened my eyes to the power that each and every one of our voices has and how much change we are capable of making, especially in a time where the younger generation has such an influence through social media.

Yet, so many people don’t exercise this crucial right. According to the UF Women’s Student Association, women have had the right to vote for less than 100 years. Yet less than 50% of women our age vote. This gap is shocking considering the strife and sacrifices women had to go through to even gain the right to vote.

A poll recently released from the Public Religion Research Institute in June showed that “only 28 percent of young adults say they are absolutely certain they will vote in the 2018 election compared to 74 percent of seniors.” In fact, millennials don’t consistently vote. By registering to vote, you can change this pattern of inconsistency. Registering to vote is the easiest part, and most of us get that far. With the excitement of turning 18, we all jump at the opportunity to partake in this rite of passage. Except, once the excitement wears down, we are left dazed and confused. That’s where being consistent becomes key. But I get it. It’s hard to know which candidate to vote for and who to believe through all the advertising and campaign flyers and websites. That’s where we have to stand up and put in the most effort. Here’s how you make the change.

1. Decide what you believe in and what you are looking for.

Before you can choose a candidate, you need to solidify what you want to see changed and what you deem a priority. It’s easy to get lost in what seems like a great agenda but realize that these issues aren’t as pressing or as close to what’s dear to you. The two most important aspects of a candidate are the issues they are prioritizing and their experience. Make sure you consider both local and national issues. What redeeming qualities do you find the most important in a person? Whether they are honest? Genuine? Morally sound? It’s up to you to decide who you want to trust with your advocacy. At the end of the day, that’s what your candidate is, an advocate that’s pushing for what you want to get done.

2. Do your research.

This is probably the hardest part and the most likely part people will skip through. I know that the first time I voted, I was completely overwhelmed by the options on my ballot and confused on how to determine who would align the best with the qualities I was looking for. But, there are a few steps to take to make this process a heck of a lot easier. First, check who is running. You can check online on resources such as your local county database, for UF students a good option is Vote Alachua. You can also check your local newspapers or the sample ballot you receive in the mail. Next, get to know the candidates. A good first step is to check the candidate’s specific website or a nonpartisan and nonprofit database such as Vote Smart. These resources will give you a better grip of who the candidates are. If you really want to have a thorough understanding, you can check press reports, candidate speeches and debates and attend forums to ask questions and meet the candidates.

3. Evaluate.

There’s no avoiding the huge wave of information that comes with the voting process, but there are plenty of ways to make the process much easier. The way you wish to organize and remember which candidate stands for what is up to you, but here are a couple methods that may help you. First, try keeping a running list. Write down the candidate’s names and bullet keywords or phrases that give an idea of who the candidate is and what they stand for. When you finish researching all of the candidates, review your list and narrow it down to your favorites. You then can complete further digging into each individual if you decide to do so. Another option is to bookmark a candidate’s page if they interest you, and immediately eliminate the rest of the options to save time.

4. Share.

As humans, there’s no doubt that we are incredibly social creatures. We seek affirmation and validation from others constantly and give such in return. Sharing opinions can help us battle ignorance and solidify what we already believe in. That being said, always be careful not to remain too closeminded. We can learn so much from each other. In order to aid the whole process, talk to those closest to you about what they believe and which candidates they are interested in. Talk to you community leaders, look through social media, check opinion polls and look into campaign endorsements. Who backs your candidate? You want to make sure that your candidate is being backed by people who have the same values and priorities as you.

5. Choose your method of voting.

We all have incredibly busy schedules. Balancing a college course load, our relationships, social lives and extracurriculars is already incredibly difficult, and now I am telling you to research candidates AND go out and find somewhere to vote? Ridiculous. Yes, it’s not a ten-second process where you can Christmas tree your ballot like it was your last exam (we’ve all been there). But, this is the easy part! All you have to do now is go out and vote. You can vote right here on the 3rd level of the Reitz Union, order a mail ballot or go to a local community location that is holding elections. All of these options are incredibly painless, and you can feel the satisfaction of exercising a right that is often taken for granted. 

The right to vote is something so beautiful, and as United States citizens, should never be something we take for granted. The next election is known as the midterms, or general election, and is Tuesday, November 6, 2018. The midterms will contest all 435 seats in the United States House of Representatives and 35 of the 100 seats in the United States Senate. This is your chance to have your voice heard. Speak for those who can’t. You will never regret working toward a positive change. You are the future.

Julia Mitchem went to the University of Florida and majored in journalism and minored in Spanish. She was the CC for Her Campus at UFL from May 2020 until May 2022.
Iesha Ismail studied as a double major in English and Women's Studies at the University of Florida. Iesha is the High School/Her Future editor, a Feature Writer, and Style Blogger for Her Campus National. She was also the senior editor for Her Campus UFL and senior content editor for UF's Sparks Magazine. She is currently working in editorial for a financial research publication firm, and a guest contributor for Muslim Women Professionals. Iesha loves to observe nature and fashion as inspiration for all kinds writing she's into. Fashion, culture, drawing, and animation are just a few of the passions she plays with on the daily. Whether it's writing colorful stories or sketching in her worn out sketchbooks, Iesha always dabbles in anything art.