How to Wear A Denim Skirt Without Looking Like A Middle Schooler

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Before I begin with the topic at hand, I would just like to introduce this series, “Taking on the Trends.” I have never really been someone who follows trends, so I figured it would be fun to try out or discuss some of the things that have gotten a lot of attention lately.

Today’s trend: Denim Skirts

I’m sure we all remember wearing knee-length jean skirts when we were kids, am I right ladies? I never thought these things would come back into my life, but here we are in 2017, and you can’t go to a bar without seeing at least 12 girls wearing some variation of a denim skirt. I was very hesitant to try out this trend because, well, I didn’t think denim in skirt form was flattering, but here’s what happened.

What is it?

The skirts that are in style are made of denim, obviously, and mostly have buttons that run up the front in the middle of the skirt (as seen below). Often, these are paired with a cute crop top or some high-knee boots. The skirt is the statement piece of the outfit, so keep it simple with the accessories and other items of clothing.

The pros and cons.

Pros: Denim skirts are surprisingly easy to pair with many different tops and shoes, making the options for outfit combinations virtually endless. They are also extremely comfortable, which came as a huge surprise to me. You don’t have to worry about having to constantly pull it up, like you would have to with skinny jeans, since the skirt fits snugly and comes up to your waist.

Cons: You will be matching every girl you see out. Even if you style the skirt differently, you are still wearing a denim skirt, which is blatantly obvious. Perhaps a more concerning con would be that they most likely won’t stay in style for too long.

The Verdict: Is it worth it?

If you can get past the whole matching thing, then I think denim skirts are definitely worth it. The comfort and ease of piecing together an outfit make owning a denim skirt a must. If you’re lazy like me and just want to throw something on without thinking twice about it, then a denim skirt would be a staple item in your wardrobe. But grab one quick! Before they’re back to being something of the past.

Photo credits: thejeansblog.com, 3.bp.blogspot.com